My Pages

Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

Site Announcements, Updates, Etc

Coming Soon:
~Review: The Killing Woods
~Review: The Waiting Sky
~Review: A Certain Slant of Light
~Review: Timepiece
~Review: Infinityglass


Friday, December 28, 2012

Review: The Immortal Rules by Julie Kagawa

The Immortal Rules (ARC) by Julie Kagawa
Publisher: Harlequin Teen
Pub. Date: April 24th, 2012
Series: Blood Eden, #1
Pages: 485
Age Level: 14+
Source: For Review

Synopsis via Goodreads
"In a future world, vampires reign. Humans are blood cattle. And one girl will search for the key to save humanity."Allison Sekemoto survives in the Fringe, the outermost circle of a vampire city. By day, she and her crew scavenge for food. By night, any one of them could be eaten.

Some days, all that drives Allie is her hatred of "them." The vampires who keep humans as blood cattle. Until the night Allie herself is attacked--and given the ultimate choice. Die...or become one of the monsters.

Faced with her own mortality, Allie becomes what she despises most. To survive, she must learn the rules of being immortal, including the most important: go long enough without human blood, and you will go mad.

Then Allie is forced to flee into the unknown, outside her city walls. There she joins a ragged band of humans who are seeking a legend--a possible cure to the disease that killed off most of humankind and created the rabids, the mindless creatures who threaten humans and vampires alike.

But it isn't easy to pass for human. Especially not around Zeke, who might see past the monster inside her. And Allie soon must decide what--and who--is worth dying for.

Review
After hearing so many wonderful things about Julie Kagawa and her books, I was pretty excited to be reading one of them. Let's just say, The Immortal Rules did not disappoint.

Allison is a feisty and strong heroine, though I didn't really take to her much in the beginning. I actually didn't grow to like her until after Part 2 of the book started. Something about dying and becoming a despised bloodsucker gave her a sense of humor and a more dynamic personality. I loved watching her grow throughout the story and her inner conflict surrounding the question of her humanity added a much appreciated depth. Kanin was...oh I liked Kanin! Such a shame he wasn't in the book more as I'd really like to learn more about him. Then there was Zeke, a suitable romantic interest whom I didn't love but liked well enough. I was pleased to see his reaction process to finding out about Allison took a pretty realistic path. Jeb, curious old goat, that one. He definitely added to the plot and while I generally disliked him, he had a couple of redeeming qualities. Ruth, OMG I want to hi-five that chick so bad. In the face. With a chair. I could not stand her and she is definitely one of those, 'you love to hate' characters. Then there is the little boy Caleb. Just one word. Adorable! Then we have a pretty rockin' villain, who comes onto the scene pretty late in the game, by the name of Jackal. Can't wait to see where things go with him. There were even more characters but it would take too long to discuss them all. Needless to say, Kagawa produced quite the cast with a wide array of masterfully developed main and supporting characters.

The Immortal Rules takes place in a future, post-apocalyptic type world that I must say was wonderfully imagined and developed by Kagawa. Combining dystopian-like elements with the paranormal, this book was a fresh and exciting take on vampires. There was tons of butt-kicking awesomeness and while the book had some spots where the plot seemed to drag, I don't recall there being anything I felt should have been left out. The beginning and ending were both very gripping so it wasn't that some of the 'drag' parts throughout the middle weren't good, because they were, they just weren't quite as good.

I don't really know what all to say about the writing except that I greatly enjoyed Kagawa's style. It was the perfect combination of dark and edgy creativity, witty humor, and thought-provoking depth.

As for the ending...oh...don't even get me started! Two words. Bad ass! I love when books end the way this one did, that is provided there will be a book to follow it, which in this case, there will. This ending definitely left me amped up and ready to claw my way, rabid-style, into the sequel when it releases.

In Essence

Characters: A wide array of dynamic characters, both main and supporting. Great cast!
Writing: Now I understand why everyone loves Kagawa and her books so much!
Plot: A refreshing take on vampires set in an imaginative, impeccably crafted world.
Ending: Bad ass, dramatic ending. Loved it!
1st in Series: Great, solid beginning!
Enjoyment/Likability: Really enjoyed but would have liked more if it weren't for a few 'drag' spots.
Recommendable: Yes!

Overall: So original with terrific characters, an exciting story-line, and lovely, yet gritty, writing! Can't wait to read more from Kagawa, especially the sequel to this awesome book!

Cover: Pretty pleased with the cover. Deliciously dark. Fits the book. Killer font. 


Buy The Immortal Rules:
Amazon / B&N / Kindle / Nook / Book Depository


3 comments:

Alexa said...

Hmm I do own a copy of this one but I'm just not sure about reading it. I know so many people rave about this author and her books that I guess I'm afraid to expect too much from the books she writes and that is why I have yet to read them. Plus it sounds like this book is more centered on world building and the plot lines than characters and I'm a big character driven reader.

I'm still undecided but thanks for the great review :)

The Insouciant Sophisticate said...

I didn't like Allison as much until she was changed either-of course, that's also when the plot really picked up so that certainly help! Can't wait for the sequel.

Kimberly @ Turning the Pages said...

Great review! This one is at the top of my tbr list for 2013 :) I can't wait to finally get to it!
-Kimberly @ Turning the Pages

About Me

My photo
Georgia, United States
Hello all! My name is Briana, I'm 20, and I live in the beautiful state of Georgia. I love reading and photography.

My Partner in Crime...er...I mean reading. :P

My Partner in Crime...er...I mean reading. :P
Meet Rudy everyone!