My Pages

Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

Site Announcements, Updates, Etc

Coming Soon:
~Review: The Killing Woods
~Review: The Waiting Sky
~Review: A Certain Slant of Light
~Review: Timepiece
~Review: Infinityglass


Friday, February 25, 2011

Review: Delirium

Delirium by Lauren Oliver
Publisher: HarperTeen
Pub. Date: February 1st, 2011
Pages: 441
Series: 1st in Trilogy
Age Level: 14+
Source:
Gift from author.

Synopsis via Goodreads
Before scientists found the cure, people thought love was a good thing. They didn’t understand that once love -- the deliria -- blooms in your blood, there is no escaping its hold. Things are different now. Scientists are able to eradicate love, and the governments demands that all citizens receive the cure upon turning eighteen. Lena Holoway has always looked forward to the day when she’ll be cured. A life without love is a life without pain: safe, measured, predictable, and happy.

But with ninety-five days left until her treatment, Lena does the unthinkable: She falls in love.


Review
Brilliant, raw, and utterly beautiful, Oliver has created a breathtaking dystopian masterpiece with her newest YA novel, Delirium, which has officially left me diseased by amor deliria nervosa. In other words, yeah, I loved it.

I can't seem to recall ever having connected with a character as completely as I did with Lena. Despite living in a dystopian society, there is so much about this remarkable heroine that I think many teen girls out there will be able to resonate with. Lena has spent her whole life longing for the day when she will be cured. Then she meets Alex and he helps to open her eyes to all the lies surrounding her. I loved watching Lena grow in strength, bravery, and wisdom throughout the book and how it wasn't a sudden development but gradual, detailed, and realistic. Her emotions were so genuine and relatable, something that only brought me even closer to her as a character. As for Alex, he was everything I could have possibly hoped for and more. He was very wise for his age, not to mention the fact that he was a charming, rebel with a cause. It is so refreshing to see a male romantic interest who stands for something, something worth standing for. Sadly, for all of you, I cloned Alex and replaced him with his clone, Alex 2. As for where I'm keeping the original Alex creation, that's for me to know and for all of you to not find out. Oliver did a great job crafting her supporting characters as well. Lena's aunt and her sister, Rachel, really gave me a look at how changed people were after the procedure and how empty and passionless they were. One of my favorites was Gracie, Lena's younger cousin; she didn't say much but she was so sweet, adorable, and more intelligent than people wanted to give her credit for. My other favorite was Hana, Lena's loyal and outspoken best friend, who kinda surprised me in the end.


We live in a world where the word 'love' is tossed about so freely and, sometimes, even meaninglessly, just a word to fill the empty spaces. In Delirium, Oliver presents us with a world where at eighteen years old, you are stripped of the ability to love anyone or anything because love is no longer viewed as something to be treasured, but instead, a disease to be cured. At the beginning of each chapter is an excerpt from a book about amor deliria nervosa, re-writes of old poems to fit regulators purposes, forbidden quotes, and more, all of which further immersed me into the story and gave me insight into the society in which Lena lives. Delirium begins at a casual pace, allowing for excellent development both plot and character wise, and gradually picks up as the climax and ending draw nearer. There was plenty of suspense, just the right amount of romance, and some action as well, all of which kept me quickly turning the pages. There was never a dull moment. I also admired how Delirium was not just about love in the romantic sense, but involved love for family and friends as well.

Oliver's writing style is fluid, gorgeously and thoroughly detailed, and poetic, even. It was like floating gently down a river, on my back, with my eyes wide open. Her use of imagery was expertly done; there were times when I could almost smell the ocean and feel the heat and saltiness of the air on my skin. Another thing, I don't know that I've ever come across writing as deeply infused with such raw and vivid emotion as what I found in Delirium.

The way Oliver ended Delirium was intense, jaw-dropping, and ever so slightly aggravating because now I'll have to wait until next year to know if.......Furthermore, I thought the last two to three paragraphs were very powerful and the perfect thing to leave me with while I sit curled up in the fetal position, in a corner, rocking back and forth, waiting for Pandemonium to release.

Now, I have reserved this final paragraph for letting loose the fan girl, rabid creature that she is. How do I love thee, Delirium? Let me count the ways. I love your awesomeness and your amazingness. Your awesamazingness! I love how you've given me another book to favorite and cherish forever and two more to almost die waiting for, Pandemonium and Requiem. Seriously people, being infected with amor deliria nervosa isn't nearly as scary as it sounds. So if you haven't read Delirium yet, buy it NOW and get diseased with love! Trust me, you won't wanna be cured. Muahahahaha.


Grade
Characters: A+
Writing: A
Plot: A
Ending: A-
1st in Trilogy: A
Enjoyment/Likability: A
Recommendable: A+

Overall: A

Cover: B+

Read as part of Dystopian February.

9 comments:

Tasha said...

I really enjoyed Delerium as well. My review is on my blog.

Book Flame said...

I have heard nothing but good things about this book.. great review!

Shannon The Bookstalker said...

Didn't read to much of your review since I'm going to start his one tonight, but glad to hear about one more person who loved it. Can't wait to dive into this one!

Anonymous said...

Can't wait to read this, thanks for the great review!

Sheila Deeth said...

Wow! I have to read this!

Megan B said...

I couldnt agree with you more. This novel was mindblowingly outstanding! Fantastic job by Lauren Oliver.

Readingjunky said...

Hello. Just wanted to let you know we have given your blog an award.

Stop by and check it out at http://freshdawgs.blogspot.com

Shelena Shorts said...

Awesome review. I feel the same way about this one:D.

Naj said...

Great Review! I'm a bit hesitant to pick up this book. But after reading your review. I think I'll have it higher on my TBR pile so thank you! :D

About Me

My photo
Georgia, United States
Hello all! My name is Briana, I'm 20, and I live in the beautiful state of Georgia. I love reading and photography.

My Partner in Crime...er...I mean reading. :P

My Partner in Crime...er...I mean reading. :P
Meet Rudy everyone!