My Pages

Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

Site Announcements, Updates, Etc

Coming Soon:
~Review: The Killing Woods
~Review: The Waiting Sky
~Review: A Certain Slant of Light
~Review: Timepiece
~Review: Infinityglass


Thursday, February 24, 2011

Review: Mind Gap

Mind Gap by Marina Cohen
Publisher: Dundurn
Pub. Date: February 7th, 2011
Pages: 176
Age Level: 13+
Source:
From publisher.


Synopsis via Goodreads
14 year-old Jake MacRae's life is spinning out of control. What he doesn't realize is that the decisions he is making are not only effecting his life, but the lives of those close to him. One night, Jake gets a text inviting him to a flash party on a midnight subway. As he steps of the platform he is boarding his worst nightmare and what's worse--he can't get off.


Review
Often, while reading Mind Gap, I envisioned Marina sitting down with her kids and reading them this book whenever she suspected them of planning something naughty. Mind you, though, it's not at all preachy, but instead cautionary and chilling. It really makes you think about the various paths your decisions can lead to.

Jake was a very dynamic and believable protagonist. While at times I really enjoyed his character, found him witty and funny, at other times I wanted to smack him upside the head for being so bullheaded. He was appropriately flawed and while not exactly a lovable character, not really meant to be, I found that I could still like Jake and I really wanted things to turn out alright for him. I also thought that he developed very well throughout the story, especially considering the brief length. Due to the nature of the plot, I only got glimpses here and there of the various supporting characters, but I found that they all played their own significant role in the novel as well as possessing individual, distinct personalities.

Mind Gap was quick, yet evenly paced and full of suspense. Cohen did a good job of fitting everything in to such a short length without the story ever feeling cluttered or rushed. When I went to start this I was expecting the story to be a bit on the horror side and while the scare factor wasn't quite as high as I'd originally hoped, I felt it all worked out right in the end. I thought the plot itself was very gripping as well as unique and refreshing.

Cohen's writing was very well done and did an excellent job instilling a sense of urgency throughout the entire book. Like in Ghost Ride, I thought the third person narrative was the most ideal choice to write this book in. I found an unbiased perspective to be important and necessary with Mind Gap.

The ending was pretty darn awesome. It was at this point that the scare factor really came through. There was also a bit of a twist at the end and I thought Cohen did a great job pulling everything together.

For what is still an undetermined reason, I had a problem with feeling slightly disconnected throughout part of Mind Gap. All I know is that reason had something to do with me; maybe because I'd read a really long book prior to this one or because I was working on my own. Most importantly, none of this was the book's fault and I still ended up thinking that it was a compelling and thrilling read and was able to grab hold of a connection part way through. I do recommend this, especially to fans of Cohen's previous YA, Ghost Ride. I'll be sure to be reading Mind Gap again later on down the road.

Grade
Characters: B+
Writing: B
Plot: B
Ending: A-
Enjoyment/Likability: C+
Recommendable: B

Overall: B

Cover: B+

3 comments:

Nikki (Wicked Awesome Books) said...

I honestly had no clue what this was about based on that synopsis. Now that I have a better understanding, I'm actually quite intrigued. I'll be looking into this one now.

April (BooksandWine) said...

See, I always worry whether or not a short book will be well developed enough for me. While Mind Gap doesn't exactly appeal to me, I am glad that it worked for you! :-)

Unknown said...

oooh sounds like a nice book! =D I had not heard of it before... great review! =D

About Me

My photo
Georgia, United States
Hello all! My name is Briana, I'm 20, and I live in the beautiful state of Georgia. I love reading and photography.

My Partner in Crime...er...I mean reading. :P

My Partner in Crime...er...I mean reading. :P
Meet Rudy everyone!