My Pages

Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

Site Announcements, Updates, Etc

Coming Soon:
~Review: The Killing Woods
~Review: The Waiting Sky
~Review: A Certain Slant of Light
~Review: Timepiece
~Review: Infinityglass


Friday, May 6, 2011

Review: Supernaturally

Supernaturally (ARC) by Kiersten White
Publisher: HarperTeen
Pub. Date: July 26th, 2011
Pages: 340
Series: Paranormalcy, #2
Age Level: 14+
Source: For review via publisher.

Synopsis via Goodreads
A lot has changed in the six months since Evie escaped from the International Paranormal Containment Agency with her shape-shifter boyfriend, Lend. She finally has the blissfully normal life she’s always dreamed of, including:
1) A real live high school
2) A perfectly ordinary after-school job
3) Her very own locker (and by the way, rusted metal is every bit as awesome as she imagined)

But Evie’s not-so-normal past keeps creeping up on her...and things get pretty complicated when you factor in:
1) A centuries-old, seriously decaying vampire stalker
2) A crazy faerie ex-boyfriend who is the perpetual bearer of really bad news
3) A major battle brewing between the faerie courts where the prize in question happens to be...Evie herself.

So much for normal.


Review (Spoiler free)
Ever since I devoured Paranormalcy (Review) last year, I have been anxiously anticipating getting my hands on Supernaturally. While part of me felt sure I'd love it, there was a little nagging voice in the back of my head asking. "How on Earth can Kiersten White top the bleeping awesomeness that was Paranormalcy, my #1 fave read of 2010?" So yes, I was worried that Supernaturally wouldn't be as good. And honestly, while I really liked it, I'm afraid that I just didn't overflow with love for it like I did for its predecessor.

Evie is just as fantastic as before. I feel a lot of authors stray from making their heroines 'girly' because they're afraid it'll make them appear weaker, versus stronger. White has created Evie in such an expert way that makes her feminine but also a bit snarky and an overall strong protagonist. She has a terrific sense of humor and personality and she's handled monsters and other issues most might not could have. Another thing, I've never been a fan of the color pink, but I found myself curled up reading this in a pink snuggie and contemplating buying pretty pink things. Yep, Evie did that. A powerful and lovable character, that she is. Sadly, there were a couple of characters that really didn't hook me like they did before. The first is Lend, whom I had absolutely adored but, for some reason, he seemed to have lost some of his charm. Then there was Reth, who's dangerous edge just seemed to have been dulled. Don't get me wrong, I still liked both these characters but they felt a bit lacking this go round. On the other hand, I got to know Arianna better. Though a bit gloomy-and-doomy, she has a sarcastic sense of humor that I loved and I was glad to get to know more about her. Last but not least is our new addition, Jack. He's a bouncing bundle of energy but has a lot more going on underneath his happy and joyful facade. He truly proved to be an excellent character.

I hadn't long started Supernaturally when I realized just how much I missed the setting and missions of IPCA. That was one of the things that had made me fall so completely for Paranormalcy. However, IPCA was still far from totally gone and I was glad for that. Supernaturally was full of suspense, action, and humor. The synopsis lead me to believe there would be a little more expressed tension between the faerie courts than what I got and the plot kept feeling like it was building up to things much bigger than actuality. This didn't stop me from quickly turning the pages though and there were some great twists as well as some startling and intriguing revelations about Evie.

White's writing style continued to be both unique and vibrant, bringing everything to life and fully engaging my attention. Both dialogue and context are witty and well crafted. The pacing moves quickly and is relatively consistent through out. Also, I thought the first person narrative was brilliantly done, which I expected.

The way Supernaturally ended left me wanting more but not entirely sure where things were headed. I couldn't help but feel the ending was a tad anti-climatic for some reason. However I think it did a pretty good job of drawing this particular installment to a close while leaving me excited for the next book.

All in all, while I didn't love Supernaturally quite like I had hoped, I still really enjoyed it. Kiersten White is a fabulous, talented author and if you haven't read Paranormalcy yet, well then shame on you because everyone should read these books. It's going to be a long, looooong wait for the next book but it is a wait that I must endure, though begrudgingly, as I want it, like, now!

Grade
Characters: B+
Writing: B+
Plot: B
Ending: B
2nd in Series: B+
Enjoyment/Likability: B+
Recommendable: B+

Overall: B+

Cover: B+


Buy Paranormalcy: Amazon Bargain / Amazon / Kindle / Book Depository
Buy Supernaturally: Amazon / Kindle / Book Depository


5 comments:

Kristin Rae said...

I'm so jealous you got to read this early!!!

Great review. I think the middle book often falls a little flat in a series because we're already introduced to many of the characters so there's not a lot new to learn about them, and it's usually the prep for the finale. I was hoping Supernaturally would be different from the norm in that respect, but maybe it's more an issue with our own expectations. I think we set them unrealistically too high when we love the first one so much.

I too think Kiersten is a fabulous writer, and I'll most definitely read everything she releases.

We Heart YA said...

This was a very thorough, even-handed review. Thank you for writing it. I read PARANORMALCY and will probably read SUPERNATURALLY, but it's good to know what to expect!

Alison DeLuca said...

Sounds like a great read for the beach - come on, summer! Thanks so much for the review!

Naj said...

Too bad you didn't like it as much as you wanted. :( Thanks so much for the review! I also loved the missions and I dont know if I can like it without them. :D haha But Supernaturally will still be read by the likes of me. :D

Happy Reading!

Nikki (Wicked Awesome Books) said...

Aww, it's too bad that you didn't fall in love with Supernaturally like you did with Paranormalcy. I've read quite a few second books in a series that fall short of their awesomesauce predecessors and it makes me sad to see this happen to Supernaturally. I'm still very excited to read it though!

I'm not a pink person either, but Evie made me love the color during the time I read Paranormalcy. I missed her once I finished the book. I've been eager to get back to Evie, and Lend, and the enigmatic Reth. I hope the boys don't fall short for me though.

Thanks for the review!

About Me

My photo
Georgia, United States
Hello all! My name is Briana, I'm 20, and I live in the beautiful state of Georgia. I love reading and photography.

My Partner in Crime...er...I mean reading. :P

My Partner in Crime...er...I mean reading. :P
Meet Rudy everyone!