My Pages

Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

Site Announcements, Updates, Etc

Coming Soon:
~Review: The Killing Woods
~Review: The Waiting Sky
~Review: A Certain Slant of Light
~Review: Timepiece
~Review: Infinityglass


Saturday, November 27, 2010

Review: I Heart You, You Haunt Me

I Heart You, You Haunt Me by Lisa Schroeder
Publisher: Simon Pulse
Pub. Date: January 8th, 2008
Pages: 226
Age Level: 14+
Source:
Won

Synopsis via Goodreads
Girl meets boy.

Girl loses boy.

Girl gets boy back...

...sort of.

Ava can't see him or touch him, unless she's dreaming. She can't hear his voice, except for the faint whispers in her mind. Most would think she's crazy, but she knows he's here.

Jackson. The boy Ava thought she'd spend the rest of her life with. He's back from the dead, as proof that love truly knows no bounds.


Review
If I could only pick one word to describe I Heart You, You Haunt Me, it would be bittersweet. Even in some of the darker, more sorrowful moments, I could see this glimmer of light peeking out at me saying that hope still remains. With hauntingly beautiful free verse, Schroeder pulled me in and didn't let me go, not even after I had turned the final page.

I was surprised by how well I was able to connect with Ava. She was a great heroine that I really found myself wishing would have a happy ending. Whenever she felt sad, so did I. When she was happy I found myself happy for her. Granted, the short length of I Heart You, You Haunt Me didn't exactly allow for thorough supporting character development but I found I wasn't bothered by that. Though they didn't appear often, the secondary characters still maintained their own personalities and I found I really liked them. Especially Jackson and Lyric, both of whom I wanted more of.

I Heart You, You Haunt Me is about one girl's loss and her journey through the pain to find peace and closure. This lovely story was many things including heartbreaking, touching, and beyond captivating. It is a very quick read and only took me about an hour from start to finish. I found the plot was actually very well paced and nothing felt rushed to me. However, this did not stop me from wanting more, though I can say I was more than satisfied.

I absolutely love books in free verse; the fact that Schroeder has such a gripping and beautiful writing style that flows from page to page like liquid silver only makes it all the better. Her writing was both emotional and, at times, even chilling, allowing I Heart You, You Haunt Me to cling to my heart and my mind once I was done.

I could not have possibly asked for more from the ending that Schroeder graced this book with. It was simply perfect and I loved everything about it except for the fact that it meant I now had to move on, that it was...you know...The End.

I Heart You, You Haunt Me is an emotionally wrought and keenly written debut from Lisa Schroeder. She does a wonderful job of showing how, even when it seems that way, all hope is never really lost. I would highly recommend this book and think it is safe to say, after having read Far From You and recently started Chasing Brooklyn, that Schroeder has secured a spot on my favorite authors list!

Grade
Characters: B
Writing: A
Plot: B+
Ending: A
Enjoyment/Likability: B+
Recommendable: A-

Overall: B+/A-

Cover: B+



7 comments:

Chelsea said...

Isn't this book great? I absolutely love her writing and she really got me into verse books. Great review!

Sara said...

Really wonderful review for what sounds like a wonderful book! I love the line "pulled me in, and didn't let me go" those types of books are my favorite. I'll definitely be checking this one out! :)

Nikki (Wicked Awesome Books) said...

I've never read anything by Lisa Schroeder, but I've heard so many good things. Your review makes me want to run out of the house and pick up I Heart You, You Haunt Me ASAP.

I've only ever read one other novel in free verse and I was surprised by how much I enjoyed it, so I'm hoping this one does the same thing.

Danna (Bananas For Books) said...

I've been wanting to read Lisa Schroeder for a while now. Great review!
-Danna

Kelly aka yllektra(I Work For Books) said...

Thanks so much for the review!
I have it in my TBR list but havent gotten a copy yet. It seems like such a haunting book!!


Kelly @ IWork For Books

Mavie said...

I totally agree with you! Out of all Lisa's books, this is my def. favorite one! I love her writing! I love verse novels too :)

Thanks for your review :)

Misty said...

This book didn't do it for me at all. I couldn't connect to Ava at all; I wrote in my review that she is whiny and immature (and annoying), and also sorta crazy...

About Me

My photo
Georgia, United States
Hello all! My name is Briana, I'm 20, and I live in the beautiful state of Georgia. I love reading and photography.

My Partner in Crime...er...I mean reading. :P

My Partner in Crime...er...I mean reading. :P
Meet Rudy everyone!