My Pages

Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

Site Announcements, Updates, Etc

Coming Soon:
~Review: The Killing Woods
~Review: The Waiting Sky
~Review: A Certain Slant of Light
~Review: Timepiece
~Review: Infinityglass


Sunday, October 25, 2009

Review: Hush, Hush

Hush, Hush by Becca Fitzpatrick
Publisher: Simon & Schuster Children's Publishing
Pub. Date: October 13, 2009
Pages: 400
Age Level: 15-16+/YA

Synopsis
For Nora Grey, romance was not part of the plan. She's never been particularly attracted to the boys at her school, no matter how much her best friend, Vee, pushes them at her. Not until Patch came along.

With his easy smile and eyes that seem to see inside her, Nora is drawn to him against her better judgment.

But after a series of terrifying encounters, Nora's not sure who to trust. Patch seems to be everywhere she is, and to know more about her than her closest friends. She can't decide whether she should fall into his arms or run and hide. And when she tries to seek some answers, she finds herself near a truth that is way more unsettling than anything Patch makes her feel.

For Nora is right in the middle of an ancient battle between the immortal and those that have fallen - and, when it comes to choosing sides, the wrong choice will cost her life.

Review
Let me warn you, this is going to be a very long review. It took me a few days just to decide on what I was going to write. There is no short way to express my full opinion of Hush, Hush.

I really enjoyed the characters. I thought Nora was a very believable and well developed heroine. I also thought she was a fairly strong character. If the stuff that was happening to her happened to me, I'd go nuts. Then we have Nora's best buddy Vee who is just down right hilarious. I would love to have her as a best friend. There were numerous occassions where she had me laughing out loud and saying, "Hey mom, I gotta read you this part." Last, but certainly not least, we have Patch. Mr. tall, dark, and handsome, the ultimate bad boy. I can now see why some girls are borderline obsessed with him. He is definitely one to draw you in.

The relationship between Nora and Patch definitely includes that danger factor but I wouldn't necessarily classify their relationship as destructive. Ok, so it started out destructive but as the book drew to an end, it became less so. However, I still wouldn't recommend this book to anyone under 15 or 16 because of it. (Then I'd still question the maturity and impressionability of the teen in question. A judgement call I feel should be left to the parents.)

The premise of this book was excellent. And for the most part, it didn't disappoint. I felt compelled to keep turning the pages, consumed by suspense. I don't think a book has every grabbed and held my attention the way Hush, Hush did, and for that I love it. However, I feel that more of the back story should have been incorporated in because a part of me kept feeling like something was missing. Also, the synopsis lead me to believe there was going to be more of an actual battle than there really was. Yet somehow, I don't really mind this.

There is no denying that Becca Fitzpatrick is a great writer. Everything was written in such a way that I really felt connected to the story and characters. However I felt there were some things that could have been better phrased or explained.

I thought the ending could have been better. It definitely wasn't what I expected and I admit I was hoping for more of a cliffhanger. Thankfully the rest of the book was enough to leave me in eager anticipation of the next book, Crescendo.

All in all, I loved Hush, Hush. I may have had a couple of issues with it here and there but that doesn't change the fact that Hush, Hush was one of the most intriguing, suspenseful, and enjoyable books I've read. This is one I will re-read again and again and I recommend it to any young adult and even to some adults.

Grade
Characters: A
Writing: B
Plot: B
Ending: C+
Series: B
Recommendable: B+
Cover: A+

Overall: B
Overall Enjoyment: A

10 comments:

Natascha De Marco said...

Great review girl. I feel kind of the same way ^^

Oh Oh I was looking at the ARC copy, and reread the normal copy and they changed the ending, totally didn't know Lol it's kind of the same, but more words into it.

^^ Stop by soon!

Ellz said...

Great review, I will keep some of those things in mind when I read. I like to know what to expect.

Jenn (Books At Midnight) said...

Awesome review! I totally agree with your general opinion, that there were some bad points but they didn't stop me from really liking Hush Hush as a whole. And, I hope my little sister isn't scarred then when she sneaks into my room and steals this book (like she always does)! :)

Teddyree said...

Great review, I enjoyed it too but like you had some issues with different things. I'm looking forward to Crescendo :-)

Briana said...

Hey! You've got an award(s) over at our blog!! Check it out! :)

-BAM Book Reviews!

I really liked this book. Since I had the ARC I had to go to the bookstore just to read the different official ending! I was quite happy with it!

suzie townsend said...

Great review. I loved the cover and Vee was my favorite character!

Sarbear said...

You know, your grading on this book is kind of how I felt about it. I LOVED the characters but I thought the plot was kind of thrown together at the end.

Ashley said...

Loved this review!
I actually have an ARC of this, but I haven't read it yet.
Nora and Patch... what cute names! And I never knew there would be a sequel, Crescendo! Eeep!

Anonymous said...

I'm new to your blog. I really like that you are honest in your review with what you feel the appropriate age is for a book.

This book sounds interesting so I will have to add it to my list of books to read.

Unknown said...

Oh i really want to read that book my cousin said it was great

About Me

My photo
Georgia, United States
Hello all! My name is Briana, I'm 20, and I live in the beautiful state of Georgia. I love reading and photography.

My Partner in Crime...er...I mean reading. :P

My Partner in Crime...er...I mean reading. :P
Meet Rudy everyone!