My Pages

Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

Site Announcements, Updates, Etc

Coming Soon:
~Review: The Killing Woods
~Review: The Waiting Sky
~Review: A Certain Slant of Light
~Review: Timepiece
~Review: Infinityglass


Monday, October 19, 2009

Review: Betraying Season

Betraying Season by Marissa Doyle
Publisher: Henry Holt
Pub. Date: September 29, 2009
Pages: 336
Age Level: YA
Series: Leland Sisters #2

Synopsis
Penelope (Pen) Leland has come to Ireland to study magic and prove to herself that she is as good a witch as her twin sister, Persy. But when the dashing Niall Keating begins to pay her court, she can’t help being distracted from her studies.

Little does Pen know, Niall is acting upon orders from his sorceress mother. And although it starts as a sham, Niall actually falls deeply in love with Pen, and she with him. But even if he halts his mother’s evil plan, will Pen be able to forgive him for trying to seduce her into a plot? And what of Pen’s magic, which seems to be increasingly powerful?

Review
Marissa Doyle will continue to impress readers with Betraying Season. Though second in the Leland Sisters series, you do not have to read the first book to understand and follow everything happening in Betraying Season. However, it does help in some aspects and I would recommend you reading Bewitching Season.

The characters in Betraying Season are just as wonderfully written as those in Bewitching Season. I loved getting to know Pen, who was a well developed and likable character. I thought Niall made a very suitable love interest. In a way, he was a bit of a bad boy, but also had a soft and intellectual side about him. I admit, I really missed Pen's little brother Charles but found that Corkwobble filled the shoes of the humorous character in this story.

Once again Marissa Doyle manages to maintain a feel of historical authenticity throughout the story thanks to her terrific writing skills. I was glad to see that she wrote Betraying Season in alternating perspectives. It was very entertaining to hear both sides and helped me form a closer bond to the characters. I also felt the ending fit perfectly.

Betraying Season is a riveting story of magic, love and betrayal. I thoroughly enjoyed it and can't wait for the next addition to the Leland Sisters series which will tell the story of Pen and Persy's mother.

Grade
Characters: B+
Writing: B+
Plot: A-
Ending: A
Cover: A+
Recommendable: A
Series: A

Overall: A-

Read my review on Bewitching Season!


4 comments:

Aarti said...

I put the first book in this series on my wishlist just a little while ago. It sounds fantastic! I love historical witchcraft.

Thanks for stopping by my blog, as it introduced me to YOUR blog, which I am sure I will be visiting often.

Sandy said...

Good to know that I don't need to read the first book (although I'll still be doing that anyways-I hate reading out of order).

This was a well-written review :)

Sarbear said...

I love how the covers look like Harlequinn novels, but they are about wtiches.

Ashley said...

Wow good review. I have yet to read this book.

I never knew this series was about witches! I thought it was just historical fiction. Hmm.

About Me

My photo
Georgia, United States
Hello all! My name is Briana, I'm 20, and I live in the beautiful state of Georgia. I love reading and photography.

My Partner in Crime...er...I mean reading. :P

My Partner in Crime...er...I mean reading. :P
Meet Rudy everyone!