My Pages

Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

Site Announcements, Updates, Etc

Coming Soon:
~Review: The Killing Woods
~Review: The Waiting Sky
~Review: A Certain Slant of Light
~Review: Timepiece
~Review: Infinityglass


Wednesday, December 22, 2010

Author Interview: Kristi Cook

Hello everyone. Today I would like to introduce you all to Kristi Cook. Her debut YA novel, Haven, will be releasing Feb. 2011 and sounds like it is going to be a terrific read. So here she is everyone, Kristi Cook....

~~~~~~~~~

TBP: Tell us a little bit about yourself.

KC: Let's see...I'm married, have two daughters, and live in New York City (though I grew up down south, mostly in Georgia and Florida). Before I started writing fiction, I worked as a grant writer at some really cool places like the American Museum of Natural History, and American Ballet Theatre (but I *much* prefer writing fiction!). I love to read, watch movies, and listen to music (especially Green Day and Maroon 5).

TBP: Give us a breif description of your upcoming YA book, Haven.

KC: I like to say it's "X-men meets Twilight, with a little Buffy thrown in," LOL! Haven is set at a fictional boarding school in New York's Hudson Valley, the Winterhaven School, where all the students (and teachers!) have psychic "gifts and talents." Only....everything is not exactly as it seems.

TBP: Your author website is absolutely gorgeous! Who designed it?

KC: Thank you! I'm really happy with it. It was designed by one of my husband's friends, Corey Godwell, a *very* talented comic book illustrator who also does graphic design. He's amazing!

TBP: Are you currently working on any other books?

KC: Right now I'm working on a sequel to HAVEN, and also puttering around with a couple other YA ideas.

TBP: What are a couple of your favorite YA books?

KC: Just a couple?! So hard to narrow it down! I'd have to say Suzanne Collins' HUNGER GAMES and Lauren Oliver's BEFORE I FALL are up there at the top of list. I really love some more "classic" YA books, too, like Lois Lowry's THE GIVER and Lois Duncan's STRANGER WITH MY FACE.

TBP: Your bio says that you took ballet. For how long and do you still continue?

KC: For a looooong time. I started when I was five, continued through high school, did a brief stint with a professional company, and then "retired" to go to college. I didn't dance at all for a decade, but then started up again after the birth of my second child. I love ballet because it's both a complete physical *and* mental workout. It takes your full focus, both body and mind.

TBP: If you could be any supernatural or mythical creature, what would it be and why?

KC: Oh, man...that's a tough one. Definitely NOT a vampire (all that blood.....) or a werewolf (don't like the idea of being all hairy and slobbery!). I guess I'd have to go with a witch--like a Harry Potter type witch. Does that count?!

TBP: Which of the four elements, Earth, Wind, Fire, or Water, would you most love to possess the powers of?

KC: Hmmm, maybe fire. It's *freezing* right now in NYC--I'm sitting all bundled up in my office, thinking how nice it would be if I could start/stop a fire at will to warm me up!

TBP: What is your favorite thing to eat and/or drink to help stay warm during the cold winter season?

KC: I am currently addicted to Starbucks Caramel Apple Spice drink (with whipped cream!). Yum!

TBP: When you aren't writing, what is one of your favorite past times?

KC: Besides reading?! Watching movies. Or, my current obsessions, watching old episodes of Miami Vice or Star Trek (the original series) on DVD. I know...I'm weird. Totally obsessed with both Sonny Crockett *and* Mr. Spock--talk about an odd combination!

TBP: If you could travel back in time, what time period would you visit?

KC: Probably Regency England, but only if I could be assured of good health! I'd hate to have a medical problem while stuck in a time before antibiotics!

TBP: Anything else you'd like to add before you go?

KC: Just a huge *thank you* for having me!

~~~~~~~~~~

And thank you Kristi! I hope you all enjoyed this interview and will add Haven to your wishlist. I know I'm really looking forward to it.

As always, thanks for stopping by!


5 comments:

Unknown said...

Hi Briana & Kristi :)
Thank you for the fun & informative interview. I liked Kristi's answers, and learning a bit more about her.
Excellent choices for YA fav books.
Merry Christmas!
Rob

Kristi Cook said...

Thanks, Rob!! And thanks again to Briana for having me. I swear, this blog is *so* pretty, I could stare at this page all day!

Kristi Cook said...

And you know what's funny?! I left the Harry Potter books off my list of favorites--'cause I'm never sure if they're middle grade or YA. I guess they start middle, and then move into YA, right?! Favorite series EVER!

Mavie said...

I CANNOT wait to read HAVEN! Looks amazing. And, I totally agree with Kristi, BEFORE I FALL is AWESOME. Great interview!

Nikki (Wicked Awesome Books) said...

Harry Potter is one of those book series that completely transcends reading age groups. I agree about how nice it would be to possess fire. The east coast is so friggin cold right now. I think my toes are going to fall off!

Thanks for stopping by for the interview! I loved the questions.

About Me

My photo
Georgia, United States
Hello all! My name is Briana, I'm 20, and I live in the beautiful state of Georgia. I love reading and photography.

My Partner in Crime...er...I mean reading. :P

My Partner in Crime...er...I mean reading. :P
Meet Rudy everyone!