My Pages

Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

Site Announcements, Updates, Etc

Coming Soon:
~Review: The Killing Woods
~Review: The Waiting Sky
~Review: A Certain Slant of Light
~Review: Timepiece
~Review: Infinityglass


Friday, December 3, 2010

Review: Chasing Brooklyn

Chasing Brooklyn by Lisa Schroeder
Publisher: Simon Pulse
Pub. Date: January 5th, 2010
Pages: 412
Age Level: 14+
Source:
Won

Synopsis via Goodreads
Restless souls and empty hearts

Brooklyn can't sleep. Her boyfriend, Lucca, died only a year ago, and now her friend Gabe has just died of an overdose. Every time she closes her eyes, Gabe's ghost is there waiting for her. She has no idea what he wants or why it isn't Lucca visiting her dreams.

Nico can't stop. He's always running, trying to escape the pain of losing his brother, Lucca. But when Lucca's ghost begins leaving messages, telling Nico to help Brooklyn, emotions come crashing to the surface.

As the nightmares escalate and the messages become relentless, Nico reaches out to Brooklyn. But neither of them can admit that they're being haunted. Until they learn to let each other in, not one soul will be able to rest.


Review
Chasing Brooklyn is the latest masterpiece keenly crafted by the talented Lisa Schroeder. Tender and chilling, this story is filled with raw and genuine emotion that will tug at your heartstrings relentlessly.

Both Brooklyn and Nico were very lovable characters that I felt equally connected to. Each of them are dealing with the same losses but in different ways and I liked seeing the situation presented through two different perspectives. Brooklyn was in love with Lucca and is still trying to get past the loss. When Gabe dies, she feels a sense of guilt because of a promise they had made to each other after Lucca's death to be there for each other. For Nico, Lucca was the favorite son, the perfect one. While he loved his brother and misses him, a part of him is also angry at being the one left behind in his brother's shadow. He is also dealing with anger towards Gabe for not being able to pull through. While, at times, understandably confusing for Brooklyn and Nico, there relationship grows and they realize just how much better off they are having the other there for them. I found there relationship and the growth of it to be very authentic and I got to say, I just adored Nico! *swoon* He was so sweet and considerate, as well as strong and supportive. Gabe and Lucca's roles as the haunters was very eerily depicted and satisfyingly weaved into the story, helping make Chasing Brooklyn all the more riveting.

Chasing Brooklyn was a fast, but well paced story, not to mention haunting and poignant. Something I really loved about Chasing Brooklyn was how much longer it is compared to Far From You and I Heart You, You Haunt Me as I felt I really wanted more from the others, despite still enjoying them. Because of it's longer length, I was able to indulge in it and connect to the story and characters more than ever. Another aspect I liked was how Chasing Brooklyn subtly tied to I Heart You, You Haunt Me, which I recently finished before starting this.

Schroeder's writing was just as impressively fluid and captivating as ever before. I positively relished getting to have the alternating perspectives with this one.

The ending was so lovely and perfect for this book. You could really see, by the end, how far Brooklyn and Nico had come since the beginning.

All in all, Chasing Brooklyn was a powerful and amazing read! I could not help getting pulled down deep into Brooklyn and Nico's lives and, I confess, I didn't even want to come up for air. Honestly, this is definitely my favorite of Schroeder's books so far and I would highly recommend it as well as the others. I am looking forward to Schroeder's next book and to re-reading this one in the future.

Grade
Characters: A-
Writing: A
Plot: A-
Ending: A
Enjoyment/Likability: A-
Recommendable: A+

Overall: A

Cover: A-



5 comments:

Jamie said...

Great review! I have this book in my TBR mountain somewhere and can hardly wait to start reading it!

Jessica said...

Now I'm even more excited to read this. Great review!

Mavie said...

I've read this novel!! I just have to review it already. But your review pretty much says it all! It's so emotionally heart-wrenching!

Candace said...

I love all of Lisa's books! Even her MG and children's books are amazing even though they aren't verse. Her writing is just beautiful!
Great review, and so glad you loved it!

Thanks for linking at Saturday Situation!

Casey (The Bookish Type) said...

Wow! This sounds amazing! I only recently discovered Schroeder and it sounds like she's really talented - I need to check it out!

About Me

My photo
Georgia, United States
Hello all! My name is Briana, I'm 20, and I live in the beautiful state of Georgia. I love reading and photography.

My Partner in Crime...er...I mean reading. :P

My Partner in Crime...er...I mean reading. :P
Meet Rudy everyone!