My Pages

Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

Site Announcements, Updates, Etc

Coming Soon:
~Review: The Killing Woods
~Review: The Waiting Sky
~Review: A Certain Slant of Light
~Review: Timepiece
~Review: Infinityglass


Sunday, December 12, 2010

Noteworthy Passages: Arctic Thunder

Arctic Thunder by Robert Feagan
Publisher: Dundurn Press
Pub. Date:
Pages: 283
Age Level: 12+
Source:
For honest review from publisher.


Synopsis via Goodreads
Mike Watson's team has just won the Alberta Bantam Provincial box lacrosse championships. The euphoria of victory and plans for next season are short-lived when Mike's father, a member of the Royal Canadian Mounted Police, is transferred to Inuvik, Northwest Territories.

The transition to life inside the Arctic Circle is a tough one. With temperatures of -30 Celsius, a hulking monster named Joseph Kiktorak threatening him at every turn, and not a lacrosse ball in site, Mike's resentment at moving north escalates.

As his friendships with local youth develop, Mike is introduced to the amazing spectacle and athleticism of traditional "Arctic Sports." When his father witnesses the natural talent of Mike's new friends, the idea of an Inuvik lacrosse team is born! With hearts full of desire, the motley group of athletes heads south to participate in the Baggataway Lacrosse Tournament, and to face Mike's former team, The Rams.


Noteworthy Passages

Mike; pg. 37
As they flew northwest toward Inuvik, it seemed all he saw was frozen water, stunted trees, snow, and...more rock. He had never seen anything like it. It was as if they were flying over the moon and its craters were full of frozen water.

Mike, his mom, and dad; pg. 38
Craning his head, Mike took a look. "How long was I asleep?"
Jeannie studied her watch. "I'm guessing about forty-five minutes. It's three-thirty. Why?"
Mike pressed his face against the window. "It's gloomy outside, but it's three-thirty in the afternoon."
"It's early March and we're inside the Arctic Circle," his mother said.
"So?"
"So they lose the sun in the winter and it still isn't very intense yet."
Mike darted a look at his father. "They lose the sun?"
Ben nodded. "Your mother's right. They lose the sun."
"Well, when do they find it?"

Donnie and Mike; pg. 116
Donnie stood beside Mike and looked at him with wide-eyed fear. "She won't rest until I'm dead," he whispered, leaning close. "You have to do something. I won't survive the day. Once it gets dark, who knows what she's capable of."
Mike couldn't help but laugh out loud.
"You need to take this seriously," Donnie said. "You don't know her. Look at her."
Mike watched as Mulluk blew her nose on a piece of tissue paper.
"Thinking, plotting--she's pure evil," Donnie mumbled.

Tommy, David, Gwen, and Mike; pg. 171
"No thanks, Mike." She didn't smile, but she didn't frown either. "You did better at the airplane than most people when they try it the first time."
Mike opened his mouth, but no words came out. Donnie was laughing over Gwen's shoulder. She turned quickly, gathered her things, and left the gym. Feeling a hand on his right shoulder, then on his left, Mike turned to see Tommy and David standing on either side of him.
"Isn't young love just wonderful, David?" Tommy asked.
"It sure is, Tommy. I think Mike and his woman should go on a date. I don't think she's called any of us by our first name in years. Hmmm...Gwen Watson. It does have a nice ring."

~~~~~~~~~~

Arctic Thunder was a really great read and deserves more attention. For those of you who weren't sure about it or hadn't heard of it, I hope these passages and my review have convinced you to give it a try.

As always, comments are greatly appreciated. :D









PLEASE NOTE: This is a feature hosted here at my blog in which I present you with selected passages or quotes that I deem Noteworthy from a book I've just reviewed. My hopes are of course, that these passages will make you want to pick the book up and read it. This feature was started and created by me in January in hopes of making my blog more unique. That being said, I would like to kindly request that you do not use this feature as it was intended to be for my blog only and is not a meme. If you see some one else using it, please know it is without my permission. Thank you.

2 comments:

Mavie said...

You always seem to choose good passages! Thanks for this!

Nikki (Wicked Awesome Books) said...

That first passage gives some great imagery and I liked the other passages as well. Arctic Thunder doesn't really sound like my kind of book, but I may have to reconsider because of these passages.

About Me

My photo
Georgia, United States
Hello all! My name is Briana, I'm 20, and I live in the beautiful state of Georgia. I love reading and photography.

My Partner in Crime...er...I mean reading. :P

My Partner in Crime...er...I mean reading. :P
Meet Rudy everyone!