My Pages

Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

Site Announcements, Updates, Etc

Coming Soon:
~Review: The Killing Woods
~Review: The Waiting Sky
~Review: A Certain Slant of Light
~Review: Timepiece
~Review: Infinityglass


Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Review: Bewitching Season

Bewitching Season by Marissa Doyle
Publisher: Henry Holt
Pub. Date: April 29, 2008
Pages: 352
Age Level: YA


Synopsis
In 1837 London, young daughters of viscounts pined for handsome, titled husbands, not careers. And certainly not careers in magic. At least, most of them didn't.


Shy, studious Persephone Leland would far rather devote herself to her secret magic studies than enter society and look for a suitable husband. But right as the inevitable season for "coming out" is about to begin, Persy and her twin sister discover that their governess in magic has been kidnapped as part of a plot to gain control of the soon-to-be Queen Victoria. Racing through Mayfair ballrooms and royal palaces, the sisters overcome bad millinery, shady royal spinsters, and a mysterious Irish wizard. And along the way, Persy learns that husband hunting isn't such an odious task after all, if you can find the right quarry.

Review
A combination of historical fiction, fantasy and a touch of romance, Bewitching Season is the enchanting and magical debut novel of a very promising author. Marissa Doyle expertly intertwined various elements and side stories into one great and wonderful read. I was hooked on this book from the very first sentence, which, by the way, must be one of the best opening lines into a book that I’ve ever happened across.


“My God, Persy, you killed him!” (pg.1)

I must say, I absolutely adored the characters. I really don’t think I could have asked or expected any more from them. The twins were very likeable, realistic heroines. That is, as realistic as you can be when you know and practice magic. Even though I loved the sisters, I feel it was their little brother Charles who really added that extra something to the book. The other characters were believable and well developed.

As some of you may know, having heard me mention this in past reviews, I’m not a fan of third person narration. However, Doyle wrote Bewitching Season so beautifully and in such a way, allowing me to acquire and maintain a close connection with the characters, that I wasn’t in the least bit bothered by it. Magic aside, this story and its setting had a very authentic feel to it, making it obvious that Marissa Doyle definitely did her research on the time period. One thing I would have liked to have seen, however, would have been a better glimpse into what was happening with Ally, the governess, during the story. I was teased with a couple of scenes from her perspective and was left wanting more.

The ending was so nicely tied up that Bewitching Season could have easily been a stand-alone title. However, I still would have always wondered what went on to happen to the characters so I’m very pleased the author wrote a second book.

Bewitching Season is a great, entertaining novel and I am so glad to have had the pleasure of reading it. Saying that I can’t wait to read Betraying Season would be a bit of an understatement as I have already started it. I will definitely be reading this book again in the future. So if you happen to be a fan of historical fiction or fantasy, run, don‘t walk, to your nearest bookstore or library and get this book.

Grade
Characters: A-
Writing: B+
Plot: A-
Ending: B+
Cover: A-
Recommendable: A-
Series: A


Overall: A-




8 comments:

Sandy said...

Fantastic review Bri! Now I want this book! (even though I've seen it around and didn't have any curiosity towards it...until your review changed my mind!)

AUGH I LOVE YOUR MUSIC. Very beautiful indeed :)

And I didn't know you got a Lipstick Apology ARC! That's cool! Maybe we can review the same book as once xD ...*spotted your twilight post* Oh, I'm so commenting on this.

Reader said...

Great review but I have to disagree a little about this book:

I got it from the library, tried to read it but abandoned halfway through. To me, it read like the Luxe series only w/o interesting characters...

To each her/his own I guess...

Natascha De Marco said...

I need to buy this book, since I plan to read the second one. Great review twin!

Unknown said...

Great review! I totally adored this book, and can't wait for the next one. It will be interesting to see what happens to the twins.

Laina said...

Yay, glad you liked this one ^^ I'll have to read it sooner or later. :)

Mari - Escape In A Book said...

Great review! Sounds like a book for me =D

The cover was a bit boring though, I don't think I would have picked out the book by myself if I hadn't read your review.

Teddyree said...

REally enjoyed your review Bri, sounds like a fun read!

The Book Resort said...

LOL @ "I’m not a fan of third person narration" -- mine is "I'm not too much of a fan of first person narration" lol.

About Me

My photo
Georgia, United States
Hello all! My name is Briana, I'm 20, and I live in the beautiful state of Georgia. I love reading and photography.

My Partner in Crime...er...I mean reading. :P

My Partner in Crime...er...I mean reading. :P
Meet Rudy everyone!