My Pages

Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

Site Announcements, Updates, Etc

Coming Soon:
~Review: The Killing Woods
~Review: The Waiting Sky
~Review: A Certain Slant of Light
~Review: Timepiece
~Review: Infinityglass


Sunday, June 13, 2010

Noteworthy Passages: Firespell

Firespell by Chloe Neill
Publisher: Signet
Pub. Date: January 5th, 2010
Pages: 246
Age Level: 14+

Series: Dark Elite #1

Synopsis from Goodreads
As the new girl at the elite St. Sophia’s boarding school, Lily Parker thinks her classmates are the most monstrous things she’ll have to face…

When Lily’s guardians decided to send her away to a fancy boarding school in Chicago, she was shocked. So was St. Sophia’s. Lily’s ultra-rich brat pack classmates think Lily should be the punchline to every joke, and on top of that, she’s hearing strange noises and seeing bizarre things in the shadows of the creepy building.

The only thing keeping her sane is her roommate, Scout, but even Scout’s a little weird—she keeps disappearing late at night and won’t tell Lily where she’s been. But when a prank leaves Lily trapped in the catacombs beneath the school, Lily finds Scout running from a real monster.

Scout’s a member of a splinter group of rebel teens with unique magical talents, who’ve sworn to protect the city against demons, vampires, and Reapers, magic users who’ve been corrupted by their power. And when Lily finds herself in the line of a firespell, Scout tells her the truth about her secret life, even though Lily has no powers of her own—at least none that she’s discovered yet…


Noteworthy Passages

Lily & Scout; pg. 60
Exactly what had been behind that door? I decided I couldn't hold in the question any longer. "Angry drug dealer?" I asked her. "Mental institution escapee? Robot overlord?"
"I'm not aware if robots have taken us over yet." Her tone was dry.
"Flesh-eating zombie monster?"
"Zombies are a myth."
"So you say," I muttered.

Lily; pg. 101
Scout and I looked at each other for a few seconds, and in the time that elapsed during that glance, something happened--I realized I'd been given an opportunity to become part of a new kind of family; an opportunity to trust someone, to take a chance on someone. My parents may have been four thousand miles away, but I'd gained a new best friend. And that was something. That was the kind of thing you held on to.

Lily & Scout; pg. 159
"And speaking of saving the world," I said, "did you have a call after we got back last night? Or did you just sleep late?"
"I sleep with earplugs," she said, half-answering the question. "The radio alarm came on, but it wasn't loud enough, so I dreamed about REO Speedwagon and Phil Collins for forty-five minutes. Suffice it to say, I can feel coming in the air tonight."

Lily & M.K.; pg. 201-202
"You can't--," she began, but I held a finger to her lips.
"I wasn't done," I informed her. "Before I was interupted, I was making a point: Don't mess with the weirdos, unless you want to lie awake at night, wondering if one of those weirdos is going to sneak a black widow into your bed. Understood?"
She made a huffy sound of disbelief, but wouldn't meet my eyes.
I'd actually scared the bully.
"And M.K.," I said, stepping away and heading for the hallway door, "sleep well."
She didn't look like she would.


~~~~~~~~

There were more noteworthy passages in this book but I didn't want to spoil the fun by posting all of them here. lol. So I figured I'd give ya just enough to wet your appetite. :P If you would like to read my review of Firespell simply click HERE.









PLEASE NOTE: This is a feature hosted here at my blog in which I present you with selected passages or quotes that I deem Noteworthy from a book I've just reviewed. My hopes are of course, that these passages will make you want to pick the book up and read it. This feature was started and created by me in January in hopes of making my blog more unique. That being said, I would like to kindly request that you do not use this feature as it was intended to be for my blog only and is not a meme. If you see some one else using it, please know it is without my permission. Thank you.

3 comments:

Liz @ Cleverly Inked said...

This looks good

Meredith said...

I love the first passage! Such good witty banter.

The Good, The Bad, & The Ugly Book Reviews said...

These passages are great. Definitely make me want to pick up the book. Love how they're not too spoilry

About Me

My photo
Georgia, United States
Hello all! My name is Briana, I'm 20, and I live in the beautiful state of Georgia. I love reading and photography.

My Partner in Crime...er...I mean reading. :P

My Partner in Crime...er...I mean reading. :P
Meet Rudy everyone!