My Pages

Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

Site Announcements, Updates, Etc

Coming Soon:
~Review: The Killing Woods
~Review: The Waiting Sky
~Review: A Certain Slant of Light
~Review: Timepiece
~Review: Infinityglass


Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Noteworthy Passages: The Miles Between

The Miles Between by Mary E. Pearson
Publisher: Henry Holt
Pub. Date: September 1st, 2009
Pages: 288
Age Level: 14+


Synopsis from GoodReads
Destiny Faraday makes a point of keeping her distance from her classmates at Hedgebrook Academy. Her number-one rule: Don’t get attached. But one day, unexpectedly finding a car at their disposal, Destiny and three of her classmates embark on an unauthorized road trip.

They’re searching for one fair day—a day where the good guy wins and everything adds up to something just and right. Their destination: Langdon, a town that Destiny’s unsuspecting companions hope will hold simply a day of fun. But, as Destiny says, “Things are not always what they seem.” Only she knows that Langdon holds far more than that—a deep secret she has never shared with anyone.

The Miles Between explores the wonder and magic of a very real world where chance, mystery, and secrets abound.


Noteworthy Passages

Destiny; pg. 4
Today is October 19, the exact same date I was sent away when I was seven. I pay attention to dates, numbers, and circumstances. Obsessively, some say. I prefer to think of it as careful observation, finding the pattern to coincidence. Can there really be such a thing as a pattern to coincidence? It would seem to defy the very definition. But many things are not what they seem to be.

Destiny & Aiden; pg. 67
As soon as we burst through the door, Aiden's tight lipsdisappear and he jumps into the air hooting. "I peed next to the president of the United States! Side by side! He asked me a question!"

Destiny; pg. 98
As we approach the outskirts of Langdon, the scattering of houses and clusters of shops hugging the road get closer together. My pulse thumps in my temples. Do I recognize anything? A shop? A house I may have visited so long ago? Colors. A tangled patchwork of tinted memories that have percolated for so many years within me surfaces. But I'm not sure if the memories have blended together to become something entirely new. Are they colors that were never really there? Brick red, smoky blue, and silvery gray. So much gray. My hazy memories of Langdon.

Destiny; pg. 149
We sit on the upper rail, each of us holding a post with one hand and our feet braced against the lower rail, facing out to the lake. The breeze blowing across the lake is gentle and slow, and yet it weaves through the branches overhead to make the softest of music, like a hundred fingers plucking the stringed bows of the tree.

Destiny; pg. 226-227
There is nothing mysterious or magical about the truth. It is simply there, cold and hard and large and unforgiving.


~~~~~~~~~

As always, I hope you enjoyed reading my Noteworthy Passages post. If you'd like to read my review of The Miles Between, you can HERE. :D










PLEASE NOTE: This is a feature hosted here at my blog in which I present you with selected passages or quotes that I deem Noteworthy from a book I've just reviewed. My hopes are of course, that these passages will make you want to pick the book up and read it. This feature was started and created by me in January in hopes of making my blog more unique. That being said, I would like to kindly request that you do not use this feature as it was intended to be for my blog only and is not a meme. If you see some one else using it, please know it is without my permission. Thank you.

1 comments:

Katie said...

I loved The Miles Between and you have picked some great quotes. I hope these will get more people interested in the book because I don't think it got nearly enough hype when it was released.

About Me

My photo
Georgia, United States
Hello all! My name is Briana, I'm 20, and I live in the beautiful state of Georgia. I love reading and photography.

My Partner in Crime...er...I mean reading. :P

My Partner in Crime...er...I mean reading. :P
Meet Rudy everyone!