My Pages

Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

Site Announcements, Updates, Etc

Coming Soon:
~Review: The Killing Woods
~Review: The Waiting Sky
~Review: A Certain Slant of Light
~Review: Timepiece
~Review: Infinityglass


Monday, July 19, 2010

Author Interview: Emma Michaels

Long time no interview, eh? I know, I know. I'm sorry it has been so long since I posted an author interview. Luckily I had the chance to interview author Emma Michaels recently. Her debut YA novel, The Thirteenth Chime, will be releasing on August 13th.

~~~~~~~~

The Book Pixie: Tell us a little bit about yourself.

Emma Michaels: Well, as everyone as heard about by now "The Thirteenth Chime" is my debut novel. I'm twenty years old, I adore nature yet I'm still a city girl at heart. I grew up in California, but I moved to Washington State a little over two years ago. I adore my Chihuahua, love my fiance, and I'm very open to a good piece of chocolate or literature. I enjoy doing Yoga, anything involving boats and I'm very excited about the opportunity of getting to see more of the US while on my book tour (I will keep hoping!).

TBP: Please give us a brief description of your book.

EM: "The Thirteenth Chime" is about the bond between two people, Destiny and David, who were once romantically involved but have since gone their separate ways. Destiny has a fiance now, and during a spring break vacation with her friend Stephanie, her friend is attacked and sent along with her friend's mother to the hospital. With little to no help from the police, the only person Destiny can turn to is David. However, a madman filled with darkness created a trap almost fifty years ago, and Destiny and David are about to unwittingly walk into the nightmare of "The Thirteenth Chime". Resolving their differences and finding strength in the renewed bond between them will be the only thing standing between them and the darkness that is waiting to swallow them whole.

TBP: What inspired the idea for the story behind The Thirteenth Chime?

EM: The story was born from an experience I had late one night on the island where I live. We had a terrible storm that was hitting our area and it had knocked out the power. We went to our neighbors and we were sharing a few candles for light. The lightning flashed outside and thunder shook the house. A moment later, the old grandfather clock within the house began to chime. The sound echoed throughout the house and it made me jump. I unconsciously reached out for someone's hand, desiring a bond in that moment. It was then within my heart and mind that the idea for "The Thirteenth Chime" was born.

TBP: What does it feel like to be published at such a young age, 20?

EM: Wonderful! Now the hard part begins - getting up on the "New York Times Bestseller's List", working hard on my career, and continuing to give my readers the kind of literature they want to read. But I promise all potential fans that if they enjoy my writing, I will continue to write for as long as they want me to write. They are also going to LOVE what I have planned in the future, not just within the novels but overall.

TBP: What are your aspirations as an author?

EM: My aspirations are to continue to write for as long as my fans ask for more. I want to be on the "New York Times Bestseller's List" and to get to the top and stay there. I really love writing and I am hoping that my books will help others the way that both reading and writing have helped me!

TBP: What are three of your favorite YA books?

EM: I am a definite Tamora Pierce fan so basically any three of her novels but this year there have been a lot of new novels I have loved that just might change my favorites list in the future.

TBP: You murdered a celebrity. Who was it and why?

EM: Well, if I had done it, you would never know ;-)

TBP: If you could turn into any animal, which animal would it be and why?

EM: An owl. I love owls and it would be so amazing to fly. Plus, then I would have an excuse to be sleepy during the daytime! *laughs* I would choose a Wolf but I would be too scared that I might end up being hunted. So Owl it is.

TBP: So I hear your engaged. Who's the lucky guy? Care to share some of the wedding plans?

EM: His name is Michael and he has been really supportive of me in pursuing my literary career. He and I are still working out the details. He has been really great and willing to put our plans on hold for a bit while I pursue my career. Best of all, he is a really great cook and we compliment each others' strengths and shortcomings, so it's been really great getting to share all of this with him. I don't know how public I'll make the wedding plans, but he shared an interesting and very sweet idea a few days ago that fans might think is really cool, so keep an eye out on my blog and website in the future!

TBP: Is there anything else you'd like to say before you go?

EM: Simply that I appreciate the amazing support I have received and truly hope that you all will love The Thirteenth Chime! Reading has meant so much to me in my life and it helped me in so many ways. I want to be able to help others in those ways too. I truly hope that you enjoy The Thirteenth Chime and together we can do anything, even achieve my goal of being a blogger who makes it to the New York Times Best Sellers List! I can't do it without you!

~~~~~~~

I would first like to thank Emma for letting me interview her. Secondly, I'd like to thank all of you for stopping by. I hope you enjoyed the interview and will leave any comments you may have in the comments section. :D





7 comments:

Unknown said...

Awesome interview, LOVED The Thirteenth Chime, and it's so neat to know how the idea came about, how cool is that?!

Great interview!

Emma Michaels said...

Thank you again for the interview! I really enjoyed it!!!

Sincerely,
Emma Michaels
http://EmmaMichaels.Blogspot.com

Emma said...

Great interview! Congrats on the engagement. It's so cool that you're published at 20!

Unknown said...

wow! 20 and already published I'm so jealous this was a great interview!

Sheila (Bookjourney) said...

I have been hearing such good things about this one. :D

Sandy said...

Ooh, nice interview. I like how she became inspired for the idea to write her book! it's really intriguing :)

Kim said...

Thanks for the interview! I've been seeing The Thirteenth Chime everywhere!

About Me

My photo
Georgia, United States
Hello all! My name is Briana, I'm 20, and I live in the beautiful state of Georgia. I love reading and photography.

My Partner in Crime...er...I mean reading. :P

My Partner in Crime...er...I mean reading. :P
Meet Rudy everyone!