My Pages

Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

Site Announcements, Updates, Etc

Coming Soon:
~Review: The Killing Woods
~Review: The Waiting Sky
~Review: A Certain Slant of Light
~Review: Timepiece
~Review: Infinityglass


Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Review: The Broken Lake

The Broken Lake (ARC) by Shelena Shorts
Publisher: Lands Atlantic Publishing, LLC
Release Date: August 19th, 2010
Pages: 304
Age Level: YA
Series: Book #2 in The Pace series


Synopsis via GoodReads
In the aftermath of Sophie's ordeal, Weston will make some uncharacteristic decisions to distance himself from the past in an attempt to change the future.

But, while venturing into the improbable, the present sneaks up in a chilling way that will lead to Wes' unexpected submission. Suddenly, Sophie will find herself watching as both his immortal secret and his own existence are threatened.

Continuously intriguing, The Broken Lake takes readers to a place where eternal bonds confront a division that is sure to leave everyone wondering whom they can trust.

Review (Completely Spoiler Free)
Shelena Shorts captivates my mind and soul once again with her second book in The Pace series, The Broken Lake. It was easily just as awesome, if not better than, it's predecessor. This is a riveting, keenly crafted series that just seems to keep getting better.

Shorts really created a great heroine in Sophie; I felt she not only continued to grow as a character but also that my connection with her grew as well. The same goes for Wes whom I just fell even more in love with than before and his personality really seemed to develop more. And as far as the pairing of Sophie and Wes as a couple goes, I think they are perfect together. What I love so much about the two of them is how they both need and look after each other instead of one always being the hero; both of them are strong and vulnerable in their own ways and I feel they compliment each other very well. They are easily one of my, if not my number one, favorite couples in young adult literature.

The Broken Lake starts out at a casual pace and then gradually quickens, building up suspense until it reaches it's ultimate and satisfying climax towards the end. That's one thing I really love about Shorts' books, they are brilliantly plotted. When I would be reading this book I would tell myself I'd finish the chapter I was on and then stop but I never did. I was always compelled to move on to the next chapter and then the next. I was glad to see the continuation of both the scientific and spiritual elements that make this series so unique and the writing continued to be beautifully done.

Can I just say that Shorts has got to be the queen of awesome cliffhanger endings! Seriously, this woman knows how to leave me with my eye twitching like a loony waiting for the next book to come out.

All I can say now is that Shelena Shorts sure has done it again with The Broken Lake and I give her two thumbs way, way up. This series is just so refreshing, gripping, and expertly crafted; if you haven't tried The Pace yet then I highly suggest you get to it soon. This is a series that should not be missed. I just can't believe I'm going to have to wait so long for The Iron Quill to come out.

Grade
Characters: A-
Writing: B+
Plot: A
Ending: A
#2 in Series: A
Enjoyment/Likability: A
Recommendable: A+

Overall: A

Cover: B+


Curious what I thought about The Pace? Read my review HERE.


8 comments:

Chioma said...

How cool!!! I am so glad to hear it was as soo good. I mean I knew it was going to be great, but it sounds like it was even better than The Pace!!! I can't wait to read it!!! Great Review!!!

Alex Bennett from Electrifying Reviews said...

Yay! I won the first one from you and I'm glad to see you loved the second one too!

Liz @ Cleverly Inked said...

I still need to read the first

Emma said...

Sounds like I should really read this series! Great review.

Natascha De Marco said...

your review was funny and great! Now you've made me want to read this even more!!!

Michelle said...

You LOVE The Broken Lake as much as I did ;) I really like your review and you are so right about:
___________________________________

Review Quote:

What I love so much about the two of them is how they both need and look after each other instead of one always being the hero; both of them are strong and vulnerable in their own ways and I feel they complement each other very well.
___________________________________

That one of the reason I LOVE The Pace series because is not about an obsessive LOVE is about a beautiful love that want to conquer everything. Great Review!

Sincerely
Michelle

Kim said...

How is it possible that I haven't seen this book before?!! xD Great review!

Amused said...

I love it when books in a series only get better with the next! That's always the way you hope and this sounds like a good one!

About Me

My photo
Georgia, United States
Hello all! My name is Briana, I'm 20, and I live in the beautiful state of Georgia. I love reading and photography.

My Partner in Crime...er...I mean reading. :P

My Partner in Crime...er...I mean reading. :P
Meet Rudy everyone!