My Pages

Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

Site Announcements, Updates, Etc

Coming Soon:
~Review: The Killing Woods
~Review: The Waiting Sky
~Review: A Certain Slant of Light
~Review: Timepiece
~Review: Infinityglass


Monday, July 12, 2010

Review: Before I Fall

Before I Fall (ARC) by Lauren Oliver
Publisher: HarperCollins
Pub. Date: March 1st, 2010
Pages: 470
Age Level: 14+

Synopsis via GoodReads
What if you had only one day to live?
What would you do?
Who would you kiss?
And how far would you go to save your own life?

Samantha Kingston has it all: the world's most crush-worthy boyfriend, three amazing best friends, and first pick of everything at Thomas Jefferson High—from the best table in the cafeteria to the choicest parking spot. Friday, February 12, should be just another day in her charmed life.

Instead, it turns out to be her last.

Then she gets a second chance. Seven chances, in fact. Reliving her last day during one miraculous week, she will untangle the mystery surrounding her death—and discover the true value of everything she is in danger of losing.


Review
Before I Fall is one of those rare, exceptional books that will leave you viewing the world in a whole new way once your eyes have left the pages. Lauren Oliver shows us in her stunning debut novel that not only can people change but that sometimes changing the simplest things can mean a world of difference.

In Sam, Oliver has created such a complex and dynamic character. At first I didn't really like her but that wasn't really the point. As Sam continued to relive the day of her death, I got to watch her grow into a better person; her outlook on life and the people around her, even her best friends, started to become more clear. I could see why Sam was friends with Lindsay, Elody, and Ally; they had some great, lovable qualities about them. However, Lindsay also had a bitchy quality and Elody and Ally just kind of went along with it, as did Sam for a time. Both Lindsay and Juliet were great supporting characters and there was a lot more to them both than what first meets the eye, especially Juliet. Last, but certainly not least, is Kent whom I fell madly in love with; he was just so sweet and adorable and although he was sometimes awkward, there was also an underlying strength and wisdom about him.

I have to say, Before I Fall wasn't exactly a quick read. However, except for the beginning which seemed a bit slow going for me, it was very well paced. Once I got past the slight repetitive feeling that comes natural with a main character reliving the same day, everything fell into step and I found myself anxious to find out how Sam's day would turn out this time and then the next time and so on. The story itself was just so emotionally wrought, unique, and often heart-wrenching. There were even some twists thrown in that I wasn't expecting.

Oliver has such a beautiful, almost poetic, writing style; it was gripping, relevant, thought-provoking, and descriptive all in one. Her writing is also very noteworthy as I felt she said many things worth saying in Before I Fall and she not only said them but said them well, in a way that will make me remember long after I've finished this book. Another thing, I loved how Sam would occasionally break away from telling her story to speak directly to me, the reader. This technique was well used and really helped me form a better connection with Sam.

Thanks to a very inconsiderate meany on GoodReads, I already knew how this book was going to end as far as Sam was concerned. However, I was still amazed and surprised by the ending in many ways. I know some people weren't big fans of the ending but I loved it and thought it was admirably done.

So I will say this, Before I Fall is not the kind of book to just pick up on a sheer whim; because of it's emotional depth and slightly more serious subject matter, it is one of those books I feel you really need to be in the mood for if you are too fully appreciate it's greatness. I say this because the first time I picked it up to read, I got part way through but then started another book. I know, for shame. *blushes* In the end, though, Before I Fall is a work of genius that will stick with you long after you've read it and even has the potential to change readers lives. I highly recommend this book to everyone!

Grade
Characters: A-
Writing: A
Plot: B
Ending: A-
Enjoyment/Likability: B
Recommendable: A

Overall: A-

Cover: B-



9 comments:

brizmus said...

booo for people that write reviews that ruin the end of a book.
thank you for not ruining it!
I've really got to read this book1

Alex Bennett from Electrifying Reviews said...

Another awesome review of this book. Will definitely have to read it now!

Sheila (Bookjourney) said...

I really enjoyed this book too. Bummer the ending was spoiled - I have a spoiler button on the reviews I want to discuss further (like this one) for those who want to chat deeper about a book without ruining it for those who have yet to read it.

brandileigh2003 said...

Great review!

Samantha R. said...

I loved this book and you pinpointed all the reasons why I loved it! Thanks for the awesome review!

Jane said...

One of my best friends says that this book is amazing, and one of her absolute favorites... and she is extremely picky about her reading!

Great review... I'm glad you gave the warning of being in the right mood before picking this up. I'll think twice before diving right in!

Jane
janestoryblog.blogspot.com

Sandy said...

It's a good thing I've got this book on my shelf then. This really does sound like a life-chaning read; I'm glad you were able to love the book even though someone spoiled the ending for you v.v

Kim said...

Someone spoiled the ending for me too! :( But I loved it just the same. The ending was so fjsdjowijfjlfjsfjslfj. I wish I could hear more from Juliet <3

Pocketful of Books said...

I only just got this one! Looking forward to reading it soon! You have made me really want to- the main character sounds really intriguing!

P.S- I LOVE RUDY! He is adorable. I have pictures of my cat Boots in my About Me section too- http://pocketfulofbooksblogger.blogspot.co.uk/p/about.html- cats are great reading companions!

x

About Me

My photo
Georgia, United States
Hello all! My name is Briana, I'm 20, and I live in the beautiful state of Georgia. I love reading and photography.

My Partner in Crime...er...I mean reading. :P

My Partner in Crime...er...I mean reading. :P
Meet Rudy everyone!