My Pages

Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

Site Announcements, Updates, Etc

Coming Soon:
~Review: The Killing Woods
~Review: The Waiting Sky
~Review: A Certain Slant of Light
~Review: Timepiece
~Review: Infinityglass


Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Noteworthy Passages: Before I Fall

Before I Fall (ARC) by Lauren Oliver
Publisher: HarperCollins
Pub. Date: March 1st, 2010
Pages: 470
Age Level: 14+

Disclaimer: Please note that this is an ARC and passages and quotes below are subject to change in the final copy.


Synopsis via GoodReads
What if you had only one day to live?
What would you do?
Who would you kiss?
And how far would you go to save your own life?

Samantha Kingston has it all: the world's most crush-worthy boyfriend, three amazing best friends, and first pick of everything at Thomas Jefferson High—from the best table in the cafeteria to the choicest parking spot. Friday, February 12, should be just another day in her charmed life.

Instead, it turns out to be her last.

Then she gets a second chance. Seven chances, in fact. Reliving her last day during one miraculous week, she will untangle the mystery surrounding her death—and discover the true value of everything she is in danger of losing.

Noteworthy Passages

Sam & Lindsay; pg. 9
"Beep, beep," Lindsay calls out. A few weeks ago my mom yelled at her for blasting her horn at six fifty-five every morning, and this is Lindsay's solution.

Sam; pg. 56
When I was little I used to do this a lot: lock myself in the bathroom and take showers so hot the mirror would cloud completely over, then stand there, watching as my face took shape slowly behind the steam, rough outlines at first, then details appearing gradually. Each time I'd think that when my face came back I would see somebody beautiful, like during my shower I'd been transformed into something brighter and better. But I always looked the same.

Sam; pg. 81
But before you start pointing fingers, let me ask you: is what I did really so bad? So bad I deserved to die? So bad I deserved to die like that
?
Is what I did really so much worse than what anybody else does?
Is it really so much worse than what
you
do?
Think about it.


Sam & Izzy; pg. 284
"I used to lie here like this all summer long," I tell her. "I'd come up here and just stare at the sky."
She rolls over on her back so she's staring up as well. "Bet the view hasn't changed much, has it?"
What she says is so simple I almost laugh. She's right of course. "No. This looks exactly the same."
I suppose that's the secret, if you're ever wishing for things to go back to the way they were. You just have to look up.

Sam; pg. 301
If I never go to sleep, maybe today will have to turn into tomorrow. I wonder idly how long I can go without sleep before I flip my shit and start running down the street in my underwear, hallucinating purple spiders.

Sam; pg. 425-426
As we pull out of the parking lot, it occurs to me that maybe it's not so complicated at all. Most of the time - 99 percent of the time - you just don't know how and why the threads are looped together, and that's okay. Do a good thing and something bad happens. Do a bad thing and something good happens. Do nothing and everything explodes.
And very, very rarely - by some miracle of chance and coincidence, butterflies beating their wings just so and all the threads hanging together for a minute - you get the chance to do the right thing.



~~~~~~~~~~

Well there you have it folks. I've got to say, when it comes to books having good passages, this has got to be one of the most noteworthy ones I've read. If these aren't enough to convince you or if you'd just like to know more, you can check out my Review.










PLEASE NOTE: This is a feature hosted here at my blog in which I present you with selected passages or quotes that I deem Noteworthy from a book I've just reviewed. My hopes are of course, that these passages will make you want to pick the book up and read it. This feature was started and created by me in January in hopes of making my blog more unique. That being said, I would like to kindly request that you do not use this feature as it was intended to be for my blog only and is not a meme. If you see some one else using it, please know it is without my permission. Thank you.

3 comments:

Natascha De Marco said...

Ahhh I wanna read this!! Thank you for the passages, convinced me even more =]

Liz said...

I loved this book, and I like the passages you've picked. I wrote so many passages from it down in my quote book. I can't wait to read Delirium!

Kim said...

This book's writing was so lovely! Every line was so quoteable! :)

About Me

My photo
Georgia, United States
Hello all! My name is Briana, I'm 20, and I live in the beautiful state of Georgia. I love reading and photography.

My Partner in Crime...er...I mean reading. :P

My Partner in Crime...er...I mean reading. :P
Meet Rudy everyone!