My Pages

Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

Site Announcements, Updates, Etc

Coming Soon:
~Review: The Killing Woods
~Review: The Waiting Sky
~Review: A Certain Slant of Light
~Review: Timepiece
~Review: Infinityglass


Friday, April 8, 2011

Noteworthy Passages: Drought

Drought (ARC) by Pam Bachorz Publisher: EgmontUSA
Pub. Date: January 25th, 2011
Pages: 400
Age Level: 14+
Source: For review from publisher.


Disclaimer: Please note that this is an ARC and passages and quotes below are subject to change in the final copy.

Synopsis via Goodreads
Ruby Prosser dreams of escaping the Congregation and the early-nineteenth century lifestyle that’s been practiced since the community was first enslaved.

She plots to escape the vicious Darwin West, his cruel Overseers, and the daily struggle to gather the life-prolonging Water that keeps the Congregants alive and gives Darwin his wealth and power. But if Ruby leaves, the Congregation will die without the secret ingredient that makes the Water special: her blood.

So she stays.

But when Ruby meets Ford, the new Overseer who seems barely older than herself, her desire for freedom is too strong. He’s sympathetic, irresistible, forbidden—and her only access to the modern world. Escape with Ford would be so simple, but can Ruby risk the terrible price, dooming the only world she’s ever known?


Noteworthy Passages

Ruby; pg. 70
His entire life is so easy, compared to mine. And he is here to keep my world terrible. But I still feel tears welling in my eyes, a response to his pain, even though I should hate him.

Ruby; pg. 275
All of us are grinning so big, our cheeks are like red glowing apples. They all look so young, the way I remember them when I was a child.
Then we lift our feet and dance in a circle. Our circle tumbles into the others around us, and then away again, but nobody minds. All we are doing is celebrating.
And just for now, just for this moment, I will pretend that life will always be like this, from now on.


~~~~~~~~~~~

I hope those passages were enough to tease you a bit. I figured I'd follow up the more sad, emotional passage with a joyous one. To find out more on my thoughts of Drought, check out my Review.

As always, thanks for stopping by.


Buy it now:
Amazon / Kindle / Book Depository









PLEASE NOTE: This is a feature hosted here at my blog in which I present you with selected passages or quotes that I deem Noteworthy from a book I've just reviewed. My hopes are of course, that these passages will make you want to pick the book up and read it. This feature was started and created by me in January in hopes of making my blog more unique. That being said, I would like to kindly request that you do not use this feature as it was intended to be for my blog only and is not a meme. If you see some one else using it, please know it is without my permission. Thank you.

1 comments:

Nikki (Wicked Awesome Books) said...

I really like the second passage. It seems very bittersweet.

About Me

My photo
Georgia, United States
Hello all! My name is Briana, I'm 20, and I live in the beautiful state of Georgia. I love reading and photography.

My Partner in Crime...er...I mean reading. :P

My Partner in Crime...er...I mean reading. :P
Meet Rudy everyone!