My Pages

Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

Site Announcements, Updates, Etc

Coming Soon:
~Review: The Killing Woods
~Review: The Waiting Sky
~Review: A Certain Slant of Light
~Review: Timepiece
~Review: Infinityglass


Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Noteworthy Passages: Family

Family (ARC) by Micol Ostow
Publisher: EgmontUSA
Pub. Date: April 26th, 2011
Pages: 336
Age Level: 15+
Source: For review from publisher.


Disclaimer: Please note that this is an ARC and passages and quotes below are subject to change in the final copy.

Synopsis via Goodreads
i have always been broken. i could have. died.
and maybe it would have
been better if i had.

It is a day like any other when seventeen-year-old Melinda Jensen hits the road for San Francisco, leaving behind her fractured home life and a constant assault on her self-esteem. Henry is the handsome, charismatic man who comes upon her, collapsed on a park bench, and offers love, a bright new consciousness, and—best of all—a family. One that will embrace her and give her love. Because family is what Mel has never really had. And this new family, Henry’s family, shares everything. They share the chores, their bodies, and their beliefs. And if Mel truly wants to belong, she will share in everything they do. No matter what the family does, or how far they go.

Told in episodic verse, family is a fictionalized exploration of cult dynamics, loosely based on the Manson Family murders of 1969. It is an unflinching look at people who are born broken, and the lengths they’ll go to to make themselves “whole” again.


Noteworthy Passages

Mel; pg. 44
i think about mirror-mel, wonder what people see behind my eyes. wonder if i would even recognize what lies there, myself. wonder if in any traces of my dark shadow-self remain.

Mel; p. 294
the world is back.
i am back.
i enhale, sharp and full,
and just like that--
<whoosh>
the underneath has settled,
and i can see colors again.
dark colors,
the sorts of shades that
paint the corners of you consciousness.
the sorts of shades that
haunt you.


~~~~~~~~~~~~

I hope these passages were enough to make you want to read Family. For more on my thoughts, you can read my Review.

And as always, thanks for stopping by.


Buy Family now: Amazon / Kindle / Book Depository









PLEASE NOTE: This is a feature hosted here at my blog in which I present you with selected passages or quotes that I deem Noteworthy from a book I've just reviewed. My hopes are of course, that these passages will make you want to pick the book up and read it. This feature was started and created by me in January in hopes of making my blog more unique. That being said, I would like to kindly request that you do not use this feature as it was intended to be for my blog only and is not a meme. If you see some one else using it, please know it is without my permission. Thank you.

1 comments:

Nikki (Wicked Awesome Books) said...

Your review alone was enough to make me want to read Family, but I really like these passages too. The second one is very haunting.

About Me

My photo
Georgia, United States
Hello all! My name is Briana, I'm 20, and I live in the beautiful state of Georgia. I love reading and photography.

My Partner in Crime...er...I mean reading. :P

My Partner in Crime...er...I mean reading. :P
Meet Rudy everyone!