My Pages

Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

Site Announcements, Updates, Etc

Coming Soon:
~Review: The Killing Woods
~Review: The Waiting Sky
~Review: A Certain Slant of Light
~Review: Timepiece
~Review: Infinityglass


Thursday, April 14, 2011

Noteworthy Passages: The Back Door of Midnight

The Back Door of Midnight by Elizabeth Chandler
Publisher: Simon Pulse
Pub. Date: November 16th, 2010
Pages: 299
Series: Dark Secrets, #5
Age Level: 13+
Source: RAK
gift from Shannon


Synopsis via Goodreads
Psychic...or psychotic?

Anna knows her family is crazy. But when she goes to visit her aunt and uncle for the summer and learns that her uncle’s charred body has been found, her life reaches a new level of insanity. Her erratic aunt’s “psychic” abilities are exaggerated by her grief, and have become borderline violent. Alone in an unfamiliar town, Anna struggles to pick up the pieces and establish any sense of normalcy. She desperately wants to trust Zack, the cute boy next door, but even he might know more about the incident than he is letting on.

But when Anna starts feeling an inexplicable pull to the site of her uncle’s murder, she begins to believe that her family’s supernatural gifts are real after all. Torn between loyalty and suspicion, Anna is certain of only one thing: she must discover who killed her uncle or she could be next....


Noteworthy Passages

Anna; pg. 50
Aunt Iris's bedroom door was shut. The image of her sitting in ashy dirt, like a baby plopped down in a sand box, flashed before my eyes. If the dream hadn't been so weird, I would have laughed. But staying in your uncle's house right after his murder, the same house where your mother was killed, kind of drains the humor from a dream in which your aunt thinks you're dead and says she hopes you'll be happier that way.

Marcy; pg. 121
"People fear anyone who differs from what is considered normal, and in a small town the idea of normal can be as narrow as the streets."


~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I thought the first passage did a great job of showing the eerie and dark humor sides of this story. The second, well I just couldn't agree with that more. Hope you enjoyed these two passages and that you'll check out this series. Remember, they don't have to be read in order and can stand alone. For more on my thoughts of The Back Door of Midnight, check out my Review.

As always, thanks for stopping by. :D


Buy Dark Secrets, Volume #1 (Books #1 & #2): Amazon / Kindle / Book Depository
Buy Dark Secrets, Volume #2 (Books #3 & #4):
Amazon / Kindle / Book Depository
Buy The Back Door of Midnight now:
Amazon / Kindle / Book Depository










PLEASE NOTE: This is a feature hosted here at my blog in which I present you with selected passages or quotes that I deem Noteworthy from a book I've just reviewed. My hopes are of course, that these passages will make you want to pick the book up and read it. This feature was started and created by me in January in hopes of making my blog more unique. That being said, I would like to kindly request that you do not use this feature as it was intended to be for my blog only and is not a meme. If you see some one else using it, please know it is without my permission. Thank you.

2 comments:

Amelia said...

Great passages Briana! I like that you do this feature, it's like showcasing the best/coolest parts of a book to add that extra "READ ME!" edge :D

Nikki (Wicked Awesome Books) said...

I really like both of these passages. That first one is a little creepy and a little sarcastic - it makes me want to know more. And the second one is so true. Great choices! I'm adding the entire series to my wishlist now :)

About Me

My photo
Georgia, United States
Hello all! My name is Briana, I'm 20, and I live in the beautiful state of Georgia. I love reading and photography.

My Partner in Crime...er...I mean reading. :P

My Partner in Crime...er...I mean reading. :P
Meet Rudy everyone!