My Pages

Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

Site Announcements, Updates, Etc

Coming Soon:
~Review: The Killing Woods
~Review: The Waiting Sky
~Review: A Certain Slant of Light
~Review: Timepiece
~Review: Infinityglass


Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Noteworthy Passages: The Den of Shadows Quartet

The Den of Shadows Quartet by Amelia Atwater-Rhodes
Publisher: Delacorte Books for Young Readers
Pub. Date: August 11, 2009
Pages: 608
Age Level: YA


Synopsis
FOUR COMPLETE NOVELS—ONE CAPTIVATING WORLD

In the Forests of the Night
Three hundred years ago Risika had a family—a brother and a father who loved her. Three hundred years ago she was human. Now she is a vampire, a powerful one. And her past has come back to torment her.

Demon in My View
Jessica isn’t your average high school student—she’s an acclaimed published author of vampire fiction. Now two new students at her high school strongly remind her of her favorite characters. But those characters only live in her imagination—right?

Shattered Mirror
Christopher Raneva and Sarah Vida may look like a normal high school couple, but he’s actually a vampire who’s sworn off human blood and she’s an incredibly powerful, vampire-hunting witch. As if that weren’t enough to prevent their love, his past and her future collide when they get tangled up with Nikolas, one of the most reviled vampires ever.

Midnight Predator
Once a happy teenager, Turquoise Draka is now a vampire hunter. Her current assigment is to assassinate Jeshikah, one of the cruelest vampires in history. But to do that, she’ll have to enter Midnight, a fabled vampire realm, as a human slave. . . .


Noteworthy Passages

In the Forests of the Night
Risika; pg. 7
A cage of steel.
It is a cruel thing to do, to cage such a beautiful, passionate animal as if it was only a dumb beast, but humans do so all too often. They even cage themselves, though their bars are made of society, not of steel.

Risika; pg. 9-10
The vampire myths are so confused that it is easy to see they were created by mortals. Some myths are true: my reflection is faint, and older ones in my line have no reflection at all. As for the other myths, there is little truth and many lies.

I do dislike the smell of garlic, but if your sense of smell was twenty times stronger than that of the average bloodhound, would you not dislike it as well? Holy water and crosses don't bother me -- indeed, I have been to Christian services since I died, though I no long look for solace in religion. I wear a silver ring set with a garnet stone, and the silver does not burn me. If someone hammered a stake through my heart I suppose I would die, but I do not play with humans, stakes, or mallets.


Demon in My View
Exchange Between Aubrey aka Alex and Jessica; pg. 133-134
"It's her nature to try and draw people out of the dark," he said.
"You two know each other?"
"Unfortunately," he answered. The scorn in his voice palpable.
He silently watched Caryn for a moment, until she looked up as if she could feel his gaze. When she saw Jessica and Alex sitting together, she stood, gathered her belongings, and hurried away.
"She sure doesn't try to draw you out of the dark," Jessica commented.
"They've tried, and they've failed miserably," was his reply.

Exchange Between Aubrey and Fala; pg. 154
"Damn you, Aubrey," Fala cursed. She scowled but was wise enough not to insult him again.
"Already been done," he answered calmly.
"Damn you again!" she shouted, delivering a glare that would have stilled serpents in their dens.
"Too late," he quipped. "And after five thousand years, I'd think you could come up with something better than that."

Exchange between Fala and Jessica; pg. 223-224
"You picked the wrong person to fight, Jessica," Fala told her, pacing near her head. "Because I like pain--your pain-- and I really like causing it."
"That's called sadism, and I think it is some kind of psychological disorder," Jessica grumbled, rolling onto her front so that she could use her left arm to push herself up.
Fala kicked her in the back of the head while she was still on her knees. "So are suicidal tendencies," she countered.

Exchange Between Aubrey and Jessica; pg. 243
"You live to make trouble, don't you?"
"Life is nothing without a little chaos to make it interesting." She turned to face him and playfully raised her gaze to meet his, challenging. "What do you want to do about it?"


Shattered Mirror
Poem from Christopher to Sarah; pg. 276

Blue like sapphire beneath a morning sun,
Burning with a fire of a crystalline soul.
A laughter that never quite reaches inside,
Where secrets weather like untouched gold.


Midnight Predator
None

~~~~~~~~~~

I hope you all enjoyed these Noteworthy Passages and if you haven't already, please feel free to check out my review HERE. I sure loves my commenters. :D









PLEASE NOTE: This is a feature hosted here at my blog in which I present you with selected passages or quotes that I deem Noteworthy from a book I've just reviewed. My hopes are of course, that these passages will make you want to pick the book up and read it. This feature was started and created by me in January in hopes of making my blog more unique. That being said, I would like to kindly request that you do not use this feature as it was intended to be for my blog only and is not a meme. If you see some one else using it, please know it is without my permission. Thank you.

3 comments:

Kari Olson said...

This book is sitting on my shelf to read.... but awesome passage choices =)

Liz @ Cleverly Inked said...

You live to make trouble is something that my hubby would ask me

Anonymous said...

looks like some good passages

About Me

My photo
Georgia, United States
Hello all! My name is Briana, I'm 20, and I live in the beautiful state of Georgia. I love reading and photography.

My Partner in Crime...er...I mean reading. :P

My Partner in Crime...er...I mean reading. :P
Meet Rudy everyone!