My Pages

Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

Site Announcements, Updates, Etc

Coming Soon:
~Review: The Killing Woods
~Review: The Waiting Sky
~Review: A Certain Slant of Light
~Review: Timepiece
~Review: Infinityglass


Thursday, February 4, 2010

Review: A Match Made in High School

A Match Made in High School (ARC) by Kristin Walker
Publisher: Razorbill
Release Date: February 4th, 2010 aka TODAY!
Pages: 277
Age Level: 15+/YA
(Numerous double entendres and some language.)

Synopsis
When the principal announces that every senior must participate in a mandatory year-long Marriage Education program, Fiona Sheehan believes that her life can’t get any worse. Then she marries her “husband”: Jerky jock Todd, whose cheerleader girlfriend, Amanda, has had it in for Fiona since day one of second grade. Even worse? Amanda is paired with Fiona’s long-term crush, Gabe. At least Fiona is doing better than her best friend, Marcie, who is paired up with the very quiet, very mysterious Johnny Mercer. Pranks, fights, misunderstandings, and reconciliations ensue in an almost Shakespearean comedy of errors about mistaken first impressions, convoluted coupling, and hidden crushes.


Review
A Match Made in High School is a delightful, laugh-riot-a-minute, side-splitting good time. An unforgettable debut novel from talented author Kristin Walker.

One of the things I liked so much about this book was how authentic and well developed the characters were. Fiona's inability to keep whatever thought popped into her head from popping out her mouth made her so funny and relatable. At times she could be selfish and judgemental, but then again, can't we all? I really enjoyed watching her change through out the story and getting to go on that journey with her.

I admit, I couldn't stand Todd at first. However, as the story went on, I actually grew to like him. There was a lot more to him then what originally appeared. Sam, the girl Fiona babysits, was, as Fiona says, "Too freakin adorable." She was so spunky and sassy that I wish she could be my little sister. Marcie wasn't exactly my favorite person but she had her moments. Even Amanda, who wasn't really in the book all that much, had changed some by the end. Last but not least is Johnny who was so sweet and reminded me a lot of someone I know, though I wish I could have gotten to know him better. Hmmm, did I say last. My mistake, how could I possibly forget Fiona's parents who were so gosh darn freakin' funny.

The story itself, though a bit predictable, was very original as well as fast paced and down right hilarious. Like seriously, by the time I could calm down and compose myself after rolling on the floor laughing about one thing, something else just as funny would happen or be said. Of course, I like to think that there are some underlying messages about friendship and getting to know a person better before you judge them, too. The writing was good and the dialogue witty with a bit of bite.

I thought the ending was perfect and everything was tied up so well. I don't know that I'd have changed anything about it.

All in all, A Match Made in High School is a great, fun read that I think most anyone, even adults, would enjoy and I highly recommend it. Two thumbs up to Walker for this wonderfully humorous and satisfying debut novel. I can definitely see my self reading this book again in the not so distant future.

Grade
Characters: B+
Writing: B-
Plot: B+
Ending: A-
Enjoyment/Likability: A
Recommendable: A
Cover: B-

Overall:
B+


13 comments:

Mary not so Contrary said...

Even though I'm 27 I love to read books set in high school. They always remind me of my days in HS. I'll for sure have to check this one out. Thanks for the review.

Anonymous said...

This sounds like such a good book. I got my copy in the mail today and can't wait to start it! :)

Sandy said...

I loved Johnny Mercer. It physically pained me whenever Fiona pushed him away. The ending however made me totally happy. I didn't like Todd either but their bantering was just too funny!

Kaylyn said...

I'm glad you loved the book, I did too. A lot. I have to agree with you about Todd; I hated him at first then grew to love him. Sam also added some fun and spunk to the book as well! [:

Dani. said...

Great review:) You got me even more psyched to read this book! I really want to read it! According to Borders my copy will be here on Saturday, so I'm happy I don't have to wait too much longer:p

Kim said...

I loved this book because of its hilarity. I felt the same way about Todd,especially the thing he drew on the poster xD

Aubrey said...

I have seen so much about this book! I am really interested in it! Thanks for your review!

Kelsey said...

I've read so many reviews on this book, and they've all been positive. I would love to read and review this book on my own blog!

Thanks,
Kelsey
krae991@yahoo.com

Readingjunky said...

I'll have two sections of 9th graders next trimester and this one sounds like one they will really enjoy. I like the idea of good character development and lots of laughs.

RJ

Jessy said...

This was the funniest book I've ever read. I had to put it down a few times just to catch my breath!

Allison said...

I go wild for books with great character development. Books are always more enjoyable when the characters feel as real as my classmates.

Unknown said...

A fun read - that sounds perfect!!! I've been reading so many heavy serious books lately that I need a fun book!

Sheila (Bookjourney) said...

It does sound like a wonderful read! Thanks for the review. I like funny!

About Me

My photo
Georgia, United States
Hello all! My name is Briana, I'm 20, and I live in the beautiful state of Georgia. I love reading and photography.

My Partner in Crime...er...I mean reading. :P

My Partner in Crime...er...I mean reading. :P
Meet Rudy everyone!