My Pages

Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

Site Announcements, Updates, Etc

Coming Soon:
~Review: The Killing Woods
~Review: The Waiting Sky
~Review: A Certain Slant of Light
~Review: Timepiece
~Review: Infinityglass


Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Noteworthy Passages: Restoring Harmony

Restoring Harmony (ARC) by Joelle Anthony
Publisher: Putnam Juvenile
Release Date: May 13th 2010
Pages: 320
Age Level: 13+


Disclaimer: Please note that this is an ARC and passages and quotes below are subject to change in the final copy.

Synopsis
The year is 2041, and Molly McClure was only six when the Collapse of ’31 happened, ending life as the world’s population knew it. When she is forced to leave the comfort of her small B.C. island to travel down to Oregon, Molly discovers how hard the Collapse has been on the rest of the world. What starts out as a quick trip to the U.S. to convince her grandfather to return to Canada and be the island’s doctor, becomes a rescue mission. How much will she have to compromise to succeed in getting back home?


Noteworthy Passages

Exchange between Molly and Jane; pg. 31
As we walked, Jane told me about her little house in a place called Kelso. "It's just a cottage, really. My late husband and I bought it back in nineteen seventy-four."
"Nineteen seventy-four! How old are you?" I exclaimed. She luaghed. "I'm sorry...that was rude..."
"You shoudln't ask a thiry-year-old woman how old she is, but I'm past worrying about that. I was born in fifty-two," she said proudly.
"So you're...eighty-nine?"
"Last April the thirtieth," she said.
"Wow."

Exchange between Molly and Jane; pg. 32
"It'll never be like it was because of all the pollution, but the fish have come back in surprising numbers. My family still doesn't eat them, though, because my parents are worried about mercury."
"Yeah," Jane agreed. "There's a boy in my neighborhood who catches them and every once in a while he'll bring me one. At my age, I'm not that worried about mercury. As long as it doesn't have two heads, I fry that sucker up and enjoy it."

Exchange between Molly and Spill; pg. 46
I liked the way he looked, and it made me want to explain my own dishveled appearance.
"I lost my shoes," I said.
"I noticed."
"I was barefoot and my feet were bleeding and someone gave me these slippers. I'd take them off but the pavement's really hot."
He smiled.
"Normally I don't wear slippers outside. Or at all, really. I mean in the winter I do because it's cold. But not in the summer. It's just that I-"
"Lost your shoes. I know." he said.

Exchange between Molly and Spill; pg. 118
"If anyone asks, say you're with Quinn," he told me.
"Ha! Now I know your name."
He just shook his head. "Like these people know my real one."

Exchange between Molly and Spill; pg. 131
I think we must've been trudging around in the rain and mud for an hour or more when I did a head count and realized there we're four of us working.
"What're you doing here?" I asked Spill.
He laughed. "How come you always ask me that instead of saying hello?"
"Sorry!" I couldn't help smiling even though I knew I looked like a drowned rat.

Molly; pg. 278
"I feel like the chicken pieces Mom puts in a bag with flour and shakes up before she fries them."



~~~~~~~~~

Well I hope ya'll enjoyed the passages I chose for Restoring Harmony (Review here.) I particularly loved the one on pg. 46 as I felt Anthony did a marvelous job portraying that awkwardness when you look a certain way and feel you have to justify it and end up babbling on like an idiot. So totally something I'd do.









PLEASE NOTE: This is a feature hosted here at my blog in which I present you with selected passages or quotes that I deem Noteworthy from a book I've just reviewed. My hopes are of course, that these passages will make you want to pick the book up and read it. This feature was started and created by me in January in hopes of making my blog more unique. That being said, I would like to kindly request that you do not use this feature as it was intended to be for my blog only and is not a meme. If you see some one else using it, please know it is without my permission. Thank you.

8 comments:

Dani. said...

I waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaant! :]

Jan von Harz said...

This looks like a really great read. Glad I stopped by on my trip through the book blogosphere. I will be looking for this one.

Sandy said...

I wouldn't even speak; I'd be too busy blushing like an absolute idiot to justify anything! xD

Jenny N. said...

I like the second quote about the fish and mercury. Makes you wonder what happened in their world.

Kim said...

I like the quote on pg. 46. EEP!!! ME WANTSSSS.

Jessica B said...

I love the quote from pages 31 and 32, and agree with Jane. Two headed things taste awful.

Bookish in a Box said...

The last two made me laugh aloud, especially the one about the chicken. Those are some great descriptions!

Mandy said...

Thanks for the passages, they're great! I love the passage on page 46. I can't wait to read this one! (:

About Me

My photo
Georgia, United States
Hello all! My name is Briana, I'm 20, and I live in the beautiful state of Georgia. I love reading and photography.

My Partner in Crime...er...I mean reading. :P

My Partner in Crime...er...I mean reading. :P
Meet Rudy everyone!