My Pages

Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

Site Announcements, Updates, Etc

Coming Soon:
~Review: The Killing Woods
~Review: The Waiting Sky
~Review: A Certain Slant of Light
~Review: Timepiece
~Review: Infinityglass


Monday, January 4, 2010

Review: Candor

Candor (ARC) by Pam Bachorz
Publisher: EgmontUSA
Pub. Date: September 22, 2009
Pages: 256
Age Level: YA


Synopsis
Oscar Banks has everything under control. In a town where his father brainwashes everyone, he's found a way to secretly fight the subliminal Messages. He's got them all fooled: Oscar's the top student and the best-behaved teen in town. Nobody knows he's made his own Messages to deprogram his brain. Oscar has even found a way to get rich. For a hefty price, he helps new kids escape Candor, Florida before they're transformed into cookie-cutter teens. But then Nia Silva moves to Candor, and Oscar's carefully-controlled world crumbles.


Review
Candor is a unique and powerful story about a society built on brainwashing and of a teenaged boy determined to fight the system.

Oscar and Nia were both very likable and well developed characters. Oscar though mostly selfish to start with, changed gradually with the help of Nia and proved in the end just how selfless he could be. The fact that his father was the one who was doing the brainwashing just made things even more intense. Nia was a snarky, sassy, "Don't dare try and tell me what to do." kinda gal that was really fun to read.

The writing and plot kept my completely tuned into the story, anxiously awaiting the final result. With such an engaging and unique premise, I couldn't help but be drawn in. Something I noticed in particular about the writing was how descriptive Pam Bachorz was in her writing. It was particularly comical to hear Sherman descibed.

As for the ending, well I have extreme mixed feelings on it. Part of me loved it for being so shocking and sad, I cried like a baby and was heart broken. Then part of me hated it for making the rest of the book seem almost pointless. If there was going to be a second book then I'd have loved the ending but I'm pretty sure this is a stand alone title.

All in all, Candor was an exciting and refreshing change of pace. I would definitely recommend it and I do plan to re-read it, despite the ending.

Grade
Characters: B
Writing: B
Plot: B+
Ending: C+
Enjoyment/Likability: B
Recommendable: B
Cover: B

Overall: B



7 comments:

Sandy said...

This book seems to be a "love it" or "hate it" kind of book... good to know that you liked it, despite the sucky ending. thanks for the review :)

Emma said...

Interesting review. I want to read this one!

Unknown said...

I have this sitting on my shelf. Thanks for the review.. I am now excited and scared to start it.

Emily said...

Thanks for the review! I have this audio book and was thinking of listening to it next.

Sophie said...

I have to admit to loving it. Even the painful ending. And you are so right, if I knew there was going to be a sequel, then the ending perhaps would've not been so very sad. But, the story is worth the ending. And it is in keeping with dystopian tradition, where endings are not always wrapped up with bow and happy.

Excellent critique, btw.

ParaJunkee said...

Thanks for the book introduction, haven't heard of this one before. I'm going to have to put this on my TBR because it sounds very interesting. Now I'm all intrigued because of the talk of the ending.

Laina said...

If I'm not mistaken, there's a podcast of some kind about this book. I got an email about it sometime ago. I'm not checking right now, though XD

About Me

My photo
Georgia, United States
Hello all! My name is Briana, I'm 20, and I live in the beautiful state of Georgia. I love reading and photography.

My Partner in Crime...er...I mean reading. :P

My Partner in Crime...er...I mean reading. :P
Meet Rudy everyone!