My Pages

Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

Site Announcements, Updates, Etc

Coming Soon:
~Review: The Killing Woods
~Review: The Waiting Sky
~Review: A Certain Slant of Light
~Review: Timepiece
~Review: Infinityglass


Saturday, May 15, 2010

Review: Kiss Me, Kill Me

Kiss Me, Kill Me by Lauren Henderson
Publisher: Delacorte Books for Young Readers
Pub. Date: January 8th, 2008
Pages: 272
Age Level: 14+
Series: Scarlett Wakefield #1


Synopsis
When 16-year-old Scarlett Wakefield transfers from St. Tabby’s to Wakefield Hall Collegiate, she is relieved that no one knows her dark, haunting secret. A few months ago, Scarlett was invited to an elite party with a guest list full of the hottest names in British society, including Dan McAndrew. Before the party, Scarlett had only imagined what it would be like to have her first kiss with Dan, but on the penthouse terrace, Dan leaned in close and she no longer had to wonder. Their kiss was beautiful and perfect and magical, and then . . . Dan McAndrew took his last breath as she held him in her arms. No one knows how or why Dan died, and everyone at St. Tabby’s believes Scarlett had something to do with it. But now that she’s safely hidden away at Wakefield Hall, Scarlett would rather forget that it ever happened. Only she can’t. Especially when she receives an anonymous note that will set her on the path to clearing her name and finding out what really happened to the first and last boy she kissed.


Review
Kiss Me, Kill Me was one of those books I enjoyed but still found some faults with. Oddly enough, it is the first book, as far as I can recall, I've read by a non-American author that I haven't thought was at least great or better; instead it was just pretty good.

Scarlett was a believeable and fairly likable character despite her flaws; in fact, I feel it was those very flaws that made her more realistic. She tended to repeat and over explain things at times and she occasionally grated on my nerves. However, she was also funny and though she made some not so wise decisions, she was quick to see when she had done wrong and understand and take responsibility for the consequences of those mistakes. The other character I'd like to talk about is Taylor, the new American girl at Wakefield Hall. She starts out as this tough, almost too tough, slightly mean girl but we gradually get to see her weaknesses and softer side; I actually ended up really liking her character. I thought the enemies to friends thing between Scarlett and Taylor was well developed without feeling rushed or forced. As for the rest of the characters, well they weren't really around long enough for me to get to know them or for them to develop.

Honestly, I found the story to be predictable and I was surprised to realize I had basically everything figured out so early on, which believe me, is rare. I felt there could have been more actual mystery incorporated into the story than there was and I have to admit, I was a little disappointed that things weren't a bit more complicated. Despite this, I still found Kiss Me, Kill Me to be a fast-paced and compelling read. I'm not sure exactly what but there was just something about this book that sucked me in. The story was fairly original in comparison to what I've read lately so it was quite a refreshing read. The writing was good and fairly basic, nothing that really stood out to me aside from the usage of British terms and expressions which I always find humorous.

The ending wasn't anything shocking but, being a bit of a cliffhanger, it was enough to leave me excited to read the next book so I can find out what all happens next.

So this book wasn't perfect and as the first in a series, part of me can't help but think the second book will be better. If you are looking for a quick and easy read with a bit of mystery then I would definitely recommend this to you. I can't wait to read Kisses and Lies and I will be re-reading Kiss Me, Kill Me in the future.

Grade
Characters: C+
Writing: C
Plot: B-
Ending: C
1st in Series: C+
Enjoyment/Likability: C+
Recommendable: C+
Cover: B

Overall: C+


4 comments:

Sara said...

That's pretty much how I felt about this book. I liked it enough to check out the other books, but it wasn't spectacular. I felt like the entire novel was just setting up the next book!

Blueicegal ♥ said...

i really like the sound of this she seems like an interesting character! :)

kianna and dominique said...

cool i wanna read it now!!! :)

Sandy said...

Hm, it sounds interesting. This book always pops up as a recommendation for me whenever I look up stuff on Amazon... I know now what to expect as far as how good it is. Thanks Bri! ;)

About Me

My photo
Georgia, United States
Hello all! My name is Briana, I'm 20, and I live in the beautiful state of Georgia. I love reading and photography.

My Partner in Crime...er...I mean reading. :P

My Partner in Crime...er...I mean reading. :P
Meet Rudy everyone!