My Pages

Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

Site Announcements, Updates, Etc

Coming Soon:
~Review: The Killing Woods
~Review: The Waiting Sky
~Review: A Certain Slant of Light
~Review: Timepiece
~Review: Infinityglass


Friday, October 8, 2010

Noteworthy Passages: Girl, Stolen

Girl, Stolen by April Henry
Publisher: Henry Holt and Co.
Pub. Date: September 28th, 2010
Pages: 213
Age Level: 14+


Synopsis via Goodreads
Sixteen year-old Cheyenne Wilder is sleeping in the back of a car while her mom fills her prescription at the pharmacy. Before Cheyenne realizes what's happening, their car is being stolen--with her inside! Griffin hadn’t meant to kidnap Cheyenne, all he needed to do was steal a car for the others. But once Griffin's dad finds out that Cheyenne’s father is the president of a powerful corporation, everything changes—now there’s a reason to keep her. What Griffin doesn’t know is that Cheyenne is not only sick with pneumonia, she is blind. How will Cheyenne survive this nightmare, and if she does, at what price?


Noteworthy Passages

Cheyenne; pg. 50
Sure, Cheyenne had learned how to "travel" with a cane--which was what the professional blind people called it. She had learned to use a computer that spoke to her. She had learned how to organize her clothes so they weren't inside out or clashing. She could cook, eat, put on makeup, do her nails, fix her hair. But it still couldn't take away the times when she said something about a person she thought wasn't in the room--only they were. Or the cashiers who saw Cheyenne put the clothes on the counter and open her wallet and said to her friends Kenzie or Sadie, "Will she be paying by check or credit card?" As if she wasn't capable of speech.

Griffin; pg. 82
Cheyenne's face, although still pale, was animated. Griffin kind of liked that he could watch her for as long as he wanted and that she wouldn't mind. But whenever her gaze--or what seemed to be her gaze--touched his, he noticed he still looked away, just as if she could see.

Cheyenne; pg. 138-139
The thing was, they were right. Before the accident, Cheyenne had been outgoing. She sang to herself, chattered, laughed, called out to everyone she saw in the halls. After the accident she quieted down. Without her sight, her ears were her connection to other human beings. Blindness took away the nonverbal cues that let her know whether someone else was tired, sad, happy, or worried. If she listened closely, she could still pick these emotion up in voices. But as a result, her own voice was muted.

~~~~~~~~~

So what did you all think of the passages I picked? I'm particularly fond of the second one. :D To find out more about Girl, Stolen, you can read my review HERE.

Thank you for taking the time to stop by and remember your comments are always appreciated.










PLEASE NOTE: This is a feature hosted here at my blog in which I present you with selected passages or quotes that I deem Noteworthy from a book I've just reviewed. My hopes are of course, that these passages will make you want to pick the book up and read it. This feature was started and created by me in January in hopes of making my blog more unique. That being said, I would like to kindly request that you do not use this feature as it was intended to be for my blog only and is not a meme. If you see some one else using it, please know it is without my permission. Thank you.

1 comments:

Sandy said...

I agree, the second one is really good. And I liked the third one second best. Good choices, Bri!

About Me

My photo
Georgia, United States
Hello all! My name is Briana, I'm 20, and I live in the beautiful state of Georgia. I love reading and photography.

My Partner in Crime...er...I mean reading. :P

My Partner in Crime...er...I mean reading. :P
Meet Rudy everyone!