My Pages

Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

Site Announcements, Updates, Etc

Coming Soon:
~Review: The Killing Woods
~Review: The Waiting Sky
~Review: A Certain Slant of Light
~Review: Timepiece
~Review: Infinityglass


Friday, October 22, 2010

Noteworthy Passages: Mermaid Park

Mermaid Park by Beth Mayall
Publisher: Razorbill
Pub. Date: May 10th, 2007
Pages: 248
Age Level: 14+
Source: BookMooched


Synopsis via Goodreads
Sixteen-year-old Amy rush doesn't expect much from her summer at the Jersey shore, until she stumbles on Mermaid park, an old tourist spot where girls dress in fabulous costumes and put on underwater shows. working at the park changes Amy's life in more ways than she could have imagined. she finds romance, a newfound self-confidence, and discovers breathtaking revelations about long-buried family secrets.


Noteworthy Passages

Amy; pg. 1
Packed in the back of our family Freak-Show Wagon O' Fun, I was coming to terms with the fact that I was not a nice person. A nice person wouldn't have just spent two hours wishing severe, incurable illness upon Rebecca Shoemaker, the friend who'd bailed on spending three days with me on this family trip to the Jersey shore.

Pool Sign at Motel; pg. 42
NO LIFEGUARD ON DUTY.
WELCOME TO OUR OOL. (PLEASE NOTE WE LEFT THE "PEE" OUT.)

Amy; pg. 104
A little girl said, "Mommy, that was a real mermaid. I could tell." The mom smiled at me, sharing the joke. I smiled back but thought, I might be closer to the little girl on this one, lady.

Amy; pg. 194-195
He breathed out, looked somewhere far away. The raindrops deadened all the sound, the crickets, the birds. It was just me and him and a hundred thousand tiny drops dripping into this pool on top of a spring spurting out of the ground. Where water from the sky met with water from the Earth and mixed into something else completely.

~~~~~~~~

Mermaid Park was a very enjoyable novel that I don't really think a lot of people know about. I hope that by posting my Review, as well as these passages, that you'll be inspired to pick up this lovely novel and read it.
And please do comment if you have the time. I always love hearing what ya'll think. :D









PLEASE NOTE: This is a feature hosted here at my blog in which I present you with selected passages or quotes that I deem Noteworthy from a book I've just reviewed. My hopes are of course, that these passages will make you want to pick the book up and read it. This feature was started and created by me in January in hopes of making my blog more unique. That being said, I would like to kindly request that you do not use this feature as it was intended to be for my blog only and is not a meme. If you see some one else using it, please know it is without my permission. Thank you.

3 comments:

Robyn @ Robolobolyn's Universe said...

I remember reading this book a few summers ago. I loved it! But you're right, I don't think it got the attention it deserves. :( I'm glad you enjoyed it as well!

Sandy said...

I really like that last one-thanks for sharing! I will definetely pick this one up now that I know it's more than a light read :)

Sheila Deeth said...

Intriguing passages. Thanks.

About Me

My photo
Georgia, United States
Hello all! My name is Briana, I'm 20, and I live in the beautiful state of Georgia. I love reading and photography.

My Partner in Crime...er...I mean reading. :P

My Partner in Crime...er...I mean reading. :P
Meet Rudy everyone!