My Pages

Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

Site Announcements, Updates, Etc

Coming Soon:
~Review: The Killing Woods
~Review: The Waiting Sky
~Review: A Certain Slant of Light
~Review: Timepiece
~Review: Infinityglass


Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Noteworthy Passages: Lure

Lure by Deborah Kerbel
Publisher: Dundurn
Pub. Date: September 20th, 2010
Pages: 193
Age Level: 12+

Source: Received from publisher in exchange for honest review.

Synopsis via Goodreads
A Victorian garden, a fishing lure, and a ghost named John.


Absolutely nothing is going right for Max Green. His parents have just uprooted their family from Vancouver to the bleak suburbs of Toronto, he has no friends, and everybody at his new high school is ignoring him. To make matters worse, he's in love with an older girl who's completely out of his league.

When Max discovers a local library rumored to be haunted by ghosts, he's immediately drawn to it. With the help of some cryptic messages, he begins to piece together the identity of the teenage ghost and the mysterious chain of events that have connected its spirit to the building for over a century. But just who was John, anyway? Why has he chosen to contact Max? And what does an old fishing lure have to do with solving the mystery?


Noteworthy Passages

John; pg. 83-84
We both knew how it would enrage Father to know about my secret ambitions. If I'd been born a girl, becoming a teacher wouldn't have bee a problem. But Robert McCallum considered books to be idle and womanish, and male teachers effeminate and weak. There was no chance that he would sanction a career in book-learning for me. No, he would do whatever he had to do to ensure that his only son learned his trade and took over the forge. A hammer, an anvil, and a coal fire were the tools of my future. Books were not.

Max; pg. 167
I waited until I was sure my parents were asleep before sneaking out of my room. It was twenty minutes past midnight when I crept down the stairs as silently as my big feet would allow and stole out into the late October night. Luckily I didn't have far to go, because the sight of me with the shovel in my hand and my hood pulled down low over my face would have raised red flags in even the most trusting of passersby.

~~~~~~~~~~

First off, I noticed something very interesting about the passages I'd chosen when I was getting ready to post this. Ok so the first passage spanned two pages, 83 and 84. The second one was on page 167. What does 83 + 84 equal? That's right, 167. lol. I promise it wasn't intentional.

Something I really loved about the first passage was that it showed how gender discrimination could apply even to guys back then. Then the second one really had me laughing when I read it. I hope you enjoyed these passages and that you'll decide to get yourself a copy of Lure. Want to know more about it first? Then you can always check out my Review.

I'd love to hear your thoughts and thanks a bunch for stopping by and taking the time to read this. Hope you are having a lovely day. :D









PLEASE NOTE: This is a feature hosted here at my blog in which I present you with selected passages or quotes that I deem Noteworthy from a book I've just reviewed. My hopes are of course, that these passages will make you want to pick the book up and read it. This feature was started and created by me in January in hopes of making my blog more unique. That being said, I would like to kindly request that you do not use this feature as it was intended to be for my blog only and is not a meme. If you see some one else using it, please know it is without my permission. Thank you.

3 comments:

Sandy said...

Oooh, nice choices! And really, why would any man think that being a teacher is womanly? SO NOT COOL. I'm curious to know why his dad thinks that o.O

BookGeek said...

It actually might be a nice change for me to read about a male protagonist. I tend to still to female for some reason. Probably because I am female, but that's besides the point. This book does sounds pretty intriguing.

Shannon O'Donnell said...

This sounds like a fun one. I may have to read it! :-)

About Me

My photo
Georgia, United States
Hello all! My name is Briana, I'm 20, and I live in the beautiful state of Georgia. I love reading and photography.

My Partner in Crime...er...I mean reading. :P

My Partner in Crime...er...I mean reading. :P
Meet Rudy everyone!