My Pages

Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

Site Announcements, Updates, Etc

Coming Soon:
~Review: The Killing Woods
~Review: The Waiting Sky
~Review: A Certain Slant of Light
~Review: Timepiece
~Review: Infinityglass


Thursday, February 24, 2011

In Memory of L.K. Madigan


My heart is absolutely breaking into bits right now. After staying up all night, into the morning, to finish Delirium, I collapsed in bed to catch some sleep. I didn't wake up until about two hours ago and I was scrolling through my blogger dashboard when I saw. Tears started pouring down my face when I saw a blog post saying that Lisa, L.K. Madigan, has passed away. I wish there could have been another way for me to have found out. No one expects to wake up and come across a blog post saying that an author they've come to love has died.

When Lisa announced on her blog in January that she had been diagnosed with Stage IV pancreatic cancer, my heart went out to her, though I'd never actually spoken to her before. I bought, read, and greatly enjoyed both her books, The Mermaid's Mirror and Flash Burnout, which inspired me to get back out with my camera for the first time in several months. As a way to show more support, I held a huge contest for those out there who bought one or both of her books. I prayed every night that Lisa would get better, that God would heal her. I would ask Cindy Pon how she was doing and had just been planning to ask again if there was any news on how Lisa was before I found out not too long ago. All of this has just made it more painful. I've never talked to Lisa but from reading her books and everything else, I started to feel closer to her, like I knew her. I wish so much that I could have gotten the chance to.

I'm not even going to pretend that I have the right or perfect words to say at this time because even as I write this, I can't help but crying. Lisa was such a talented author who I'm sure had many more wonderful stories left to bless the world with before her life was cut short. My heart and prayers go out to her family and friends. I can't even imagine how hard this must be for all of them right now.

Lisa will continue to live on through those that loved her, through her books, and through her readers, me included. I have no intention of ever letting the literary world forget her part in it or the contribution she made to it through her wonderful books.

Lisa shall never be forgotten!



6 comments:

cathleen a. daly said...

Thanks for your honest and heartfelt words Briana, my prayers are with her family and friends.

Anonymous said...

It's a very awful thing to hear after reading the post in January and wanting for her to get better. I've only read one of her books and did not know her very well (in the internet) but this really makes me sad. I plan to read her other book like the title of this post says, in memory of her, and so she will live on and not be forgotten.

Jennifer said...

This is a beautiful post you've written Briana. One that is gripping, hearfelt and honest. I read the post last night that Lisa had passed - like you, I had never spoken to her personally but her absence in the literary world is felt far and wide today.

~ Jennifer Murgia

Cicely said...

This is so sad :( My thoughts are with her family and friends, and this is such a lovely post in her memory :) *hugs*

Nikki (Wicked Awesome Books) said...

The past two days have shown me that it is impossible to forget about the truly phenomenal human beings that we come across in our lives; whether we meet them or are just touched by them in some way, it is impossible to forget them.

My heart goes out to everyone affected by Lisa's passing, you, her family, her friends, her readers, but especially her young son. No one deserves to lose a parent and my only hope is that her memory lives on strong enough for him to feel her all around him.

Lisa Schroeder said...

Briana, Lisa was a dear friend of mine, and I can tell you she is smiling knowing her book got you interested in photography again. We are so blessed to have had Lisa in our lives and to have her words that will live on forever.

You know, I have written books about love and loss. And there is no way around the sadness we feel. It's part of the loss part. But Lisa of all people would say, don't be sad too long. Live your life, find joy in it, and love with your whole heart. Because as we've seen from her life and how many people she touched, that's what it all comes down to.

About Me

My photo
Georgia, United States
Hello all! My name is Briana, I'm 20, and I live in the beautiful state of Georgia. I love reading and photography.

My Partner in Crime...er...I mean reading. :P

My Partner in Crime...er...I mean reading. :P
Meet Rudy everyone!