My Pages

Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

Site Announcements, Updates, Etc

Coming Soon:
~Review: The Killing Woods
~Review: The Waiting Sky
~Review: A Certain Slant of Light
~Review: Timepiece
~Review: Infinityglass


Thursday, February 17, 2011

Noteworthy Passages: In the Shadow of the Lamp

In the Shadow of the Lamp (ARC) by Susanne Dunlap
Publisher: Bloomsbury USA Children's Books
Pub. Date: April 12th, 2011
Pages: 304
Age Level: 13+
Source: Bookmooched


Disclaimer: Please note that this is an ARC and passages and quotes below are subject to change in the final copy.

Synopsis via Goodreads
It's 1854 and sixteen-year-old Molly would give anything to change her circumstances as a lowly servant in a posh London house. So when she hears of an opportunity to join the nurses who will be traveling with Florence Nightingale to the Crimea, she jumps at the chance. The work is grueling, the hospital conditions deplorable, and Miss Nightingale a demanding teacher. Before long, the plight of British soldiers becomes more than just a mission of mercy as Molly finds that she's falling in love with both a dashing young doctor and a soldier who has joined the army to be near her. But with the battle raging ever nearer, can Molly keep the two men she cares for from harm? A love story to savor, and a fascinating behind-the-scenes imagining of the woman who became known as "the lady with the lamp."

Noteworthy Passages

Molly; pg. 88-89
At last we climbed out of the caiques onto a dock that bustled with people shouting in a language that sounded like gibberish. That struck me as terribly funny so I was already disposed to laugh when I started trying to walk on dry land. With every step I took, it felt like the ground was in the wrong place and I couldn't judge the distance. I looked around to see if it was just me and beheld one of the funniest sights I ever set eyes upon. All thirty-eight nurses and sisters were staggering like drunks, trying to look important and serious as we trudged up the hill to the town.

Molly; pg. 105
As my eyes became accustomed to the half light, I could make out shapes writhing on the floor. "Shapes" was all I could think to call them. Human bodies so mixed together and covered with blood and gore it seemed I was looking at a single creature.

Molly; pg. 201
Every now and then a puff of white smoke would come from above Sebastopol, followed by a distant boom. Like fireworks during the day, but instead they were guns. I saw up close what they did to soldiers, and it wasn't glorious or pretty. I wanted someone to commandeer that sightseeing ship for a few hundred sick and wounded, then see how thrilling the fine ladies thought it all was!

~~~~~~~~~~~~

I absolutely loved In the Shadow of the Lamp and hope you all liked the passages I picked and will decide to read this one. For more on what I thought of this amazing novel, check out my Review.

Thanks, as always, for stopping by. :D

Don't wait til April 12th to buy this and risk forgetting. Pre-order it now!








PLEASE NOTE: This is a feature hosted here at my blog in which I present you with selected passages or quotes that I deem Noteworthy from a book I've just reviewed. My hopes are of course, that these passages will make you want to pick the book up and read it. This feature was started and created by me in January in hopes of making my blog more unique. That being said, I would like to kindly request that you do not use this feature as it was intended to be for my blog only and is not a meme. If you see some one else using it, please know it is without my permission. Thank you.

2 comments:

Lauren M said...

Ooh, great quotes! I'm adding this one to my wishlist! Thanks for sharing! :)

Gina said...

Wow...great quotes. The first mixes the serious arrival with the effects of traveling by boat...the second...what an image! Great shares...happy reading!

About Me

My photo
Georgia, United States
Hello all! My name is Briana, I'm 20, and I live in the beautiful state of Georgia. I love reading and photography.

My Partner in Crime...er...I mean reading. :P

My Partner in Crime...er...I mean reading. :P
Meet Rudy everyone!