My Pages

Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

Site Announcements, Updates, Etc

Coming Soon:
~Review: The Killing Woods
~Review: The Waiting Sky
~Review: A Certain Slant of Light
~Review: Timepiece
~Review: Infinityglass


Saturday, May 5, 2012

Excerpt Part #1: ReVamped by Ada Adams

Author Bio:
At the age of five, Ada read her first chapter book—Pippi Longstocking by Astrid Lindgren. Ever since that moment, she developed an intense passion for stories and characters found within the pages of literature.

In her career as an actress and a writer, Ada currently spends most of her days immersed in imaginary worlds. Much like the characters she enjoys playing and writing about, Ada is a martial artist with a Black Belt in Shotokan Karate. She is also a big proponent of lifelong learning, and has attained a Bachelor of Arts in Psychology (it aids in creating characters with unique quirks!) as well as a Master’s of Science in Education.

Ada strives to bring a fresh voice and perspective to fiction. She has been writing creatively for many years, and is an editor of a global fashion/literary magazine called VEUX. ReVamped is her debut novel.
She lives in Toronto, Canada, and enjoys adventurous nature hikes with her adorable puppies Cara and Oreo.

~~~~~~~~~~~~

“Storm Scene" Excerpt
(Dawn's POV)

I increased my speed, the trees around me melting into one another as I sprinted by. The warm raindrops were no longer able keep up with me. I ran until both my body and mind were completely depleted, finally collapsing in front of the grand white mansion I had visited on my first day in Angel Creek. I gasped, partly horrified by the realization that I had run all the way to Sebastian’s house, partly ashamed of my tear-streaked face and rain-soaked wardrobe.
My shame deepened, turning into mortification, when Sebastian appeared in front of me.
“Are you alright?” he asked.
“No!” I shouted back over the loud rain.
“What’s the matter?”
“Nothing!”
“Do you want to come in? You’re getting wet.” His own clothes—a collared white dress shirt and black jeans—were becoming soaked with rainwater.
“No!”
To my surprise, he simply shrugged and lowered himself down on the wet ground beside me. We sat side-by-side, my knees tucked tightly into my chest, his long legs sprawled out in front of him. The rain was slowly letting up, but it was already too late for us both. My hair lay matted against my face and back, covering my mud-spattered clothes. Sebastian’s shirt was completely drenched, clinging tightly to his chest.
After a few minutes of listening to the raindrops, he finally broke the silence between us. “Dawn, what’s wrong?” he asked gently.
“Nothing.”
“Are you in trouble?”
“No.”
“Is it the training?”
“No.”
“Is it that Ethan guy? Did he do something?”
“No.” What did he know about Ethan anyway?
“Well, what is it?”
“Why should I tell you?” I challenged.
He raised his arms in defense. “Hey, you’re the one who came here, remember?”
Why had I come to Sebastian’s house?
“It’s not like you care anyway!” I said, burying my face in my knees.
“Perhaps I don’t,” he retorted, shrugging.
“Then don’t ask!”
Suddenly, Sebastian’s expression softened. “Hey, my pants are all grimy because of you,” he teased, smiling. “It’s the least you can do.”
I looked up at him, bewildered. Was the always-somber Sebastian actually making a joke? For the first time since I had met him, his gray eyes twinkled brightly, free of their usual hardness. He looked at me expectantly.
“I—” I began, then fell silent again.
I wanted to tell him that my worst fear of failing my father’s mission was slowly becoming realized. I wanted to share my frustration toward the four vampire trainees who sometimes acted excited about their positions as town guardians, while at other times seemed to personally resent me for it. I wanted to talk about the turmoil my almost-kiss with Ethan caused in my already conflicted mind. And, in this moment of weakness, I also wanted to get on my knees and plead with him to join our dismal little group.
Instead, I took a deep breath and calmly asked, “Why don’t you want to join us?”
He gazed at me intently, but didn’t speak.
I narrowed my eyes, bringing my face closer to his. For a moment, we locked eyes, neither one of us daring to breathe. The storm had ceased, but the air around us crackled with a surge of charged energy.
“Why?” I repeated again, this time more urgently.
Sebastian looked away, his jaw tensing. He seemed to be struggling to find the right words for what he had to say.
Before he managed to form them, the shrill sound of my phone rang through the air. I jumped, startled by the loud buzz. I hadn’t had much use for the phone since arriving in Angel Creek, and the familiar tone suddenly sounded so alien.
“I have to take this,” I said, moving away. He looked relieved at the interruption.
The voice on the other line belonged to Ethan. “Dawn, it’s Hannah,” he shouted over the sound of Hannah’s loud sobs. “She’s in trouble. Can you meet us at the cottage?”
“Yes, of course,” I said, hanging up.
I turned back to Sebastian. “It’s Ethan,” I explained.
“Right.” Did I detect a flash of anger in his eyes?
“Our friend Hannah is in some kind of trouble. Do you want to come along?” I asked hopefully.
For a brief moment I thought he was about to say “yes”, but then he clenched his fists and stood up. “I’d like to Dawn, but I can’t. I just…can’t.” Any moment of tenderness we may have shared earlier had been long forgotten.
“Of course not,” I retorted bitterly.
I left without saying goodbye. As I sped off through the forest, I could feel his eyes on my back, watching me.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Stay tuned because tomorrow I'll be posting Part 2 of this excerpt, which is the same scene but from Sebastian's point of view. Hope you enjoyed this one and don't forget to enter my giveaway for a kindle copy of ReVamped here!



0 comments:

About Me

My photo
Georgia, United States
Hello all! My name is Briana, I'm 20, and I live in the beautiful state of Georgia. I love reading and photography.

My Partner in Crime...er...I mean reading. :P

My Partner in Crime...er...I mean reading. :P
Meet Rudy everyone!