My Pages

Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

Site Announcements, Updates, Etc

Coming Soon:
~Review: The Killing Woods
~Review: The Waiting Sky
~Review: A Certain Slant of Light
~Review: Timepiece
~Review: Infinityglass


Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Review: No More Us For You

No More Us For You by David Hernandez

Publisher: HarperTeen
Pub. Date: January 27, 2009
Pages: 288
Age Level: 15+

Synopsis
Isabel is a regular seventeen-year-old girl still reeling from the pain of her boyfriend's tragic death exactly one year ago. Carlos is a regular seventeen-year-old guy, loves red licorice and his friends, and works at a fancy art gallery for some extra cash. The two have no connection until they both meet Vanessa, an intriguing new transfer student with a mysterious past. While Vanessa is the link that brings these two very different lives together, will she be the one that can also tear them apart?

Review
No More Us for You was a sad story about loss and learning to live again. However, it was also a story that really didn’t live up to its potential. The premise in itself sounded intriguing, but the book was, I’m afraid to say, no where even close to as great as it could have been.

From the beginning, I thought Isabel to be a depressing sort of girl. Everything she saw or heard just seemed to remind her of death. Her sorrow and morbidity were about the only defining characteristics she had. There wasn’t anything really special that made her stand out except the fact that her boyfriend had died a year ago. Carlos was a little more interesting but not by much. The characters were basically very 2-Demensional. It wasn’t until much later that Isabel and Carlos seemed to develop a little more personality only for the book to reach its end.

As for the writing, it was just ok. I’ve read worse but I’ve certainly read better. At times, it was kind of funny but at others it was just bland.

The idea for the ending was a great one, but it left a lot of loose ends, leaving me with a lot of unanswered questions. For example, a part of me wanted to know more about Vanessa.

All in all, I feel this book could have been a great, edgy and poignant story, instead it was a fast yet forgettable read. Would I recommend it? Only if your looking for something mildly entertaining to occupy your time. Remember though, just because I wasn’t crazy about it doesn’t mean you won’t like it. So if this had been a book you really wanted to read, do what the doctors say and seek a second opinion. ;)

Grade
Characters: C-
Writing: C+
Plot: B-
Ending: C
Cover: D
Recommendable: C

Overall: C










1 comments:

Natascha De Marco said...

I so am not going to read this one..

Thanks for the heads up!

About Me

My photo
Georgia, United States
Hello all! My name is Briana, I'm 20, and I live in the beautiful state of Georgia. I love reading and photography.

My Partner in Crime...er...I mean reading. :P

My Partner in Crime...er...I mean reading. :P
Meet Rudy everyone!