My Pages

Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

Site Announcements, Updates, Etc

Coming Soon:
~Review: The Killing Woods
~Review: The Waiting Sky
~Review: A Certain Slant of Light
~Review: Timepiece
~Review: Infinityglass


Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Happy Release Day & Review: Paranormalcy

Paranormalcy by Kiersten White
Publisher: HarperTeen
Pub. Date: August 31st, 2010
Pages: 335
Age Level: 14+


Synopsis via GoodReads
Wierd as it is working for the International Paranormal Containment Agency, Evie's always thought of herself as normal. Sure, her best friend is a mermaid, her ex-boyfriend is a faerie, she’s falling for a shape-shifter, and she’s the only person who can see through paranormals' glamours, but still. Normal.

Only now paranormals are dying, and Evie's dreams are filled with haunting voices and mysterious prophecies. She soon realizes that there may be a link between her abilities and the sudden rash of deaths. Not only that, but she may very well be at the center of a dark faerie prophecy promising destruction to all paranormal creatures.


Review
Paranormalcy is an invigorating breath of fresh air amongst the done-to-death stories in the paranormal genre. I soaked up and loved every single moment of this amazingly original story.

In Evie, White created a smart, sassy, lovable, and beautifully developed heroine. She had such a distinguishable voice and I really enjoyed watching her grow as a character throughout the book. I also loved Evie's friendship with Lish, the mermaid. Lish herself was such a unique character; despite being a paranormal, she mostly enjoyed working for IPCA and she was so sweet and funny, a perfect best friend for Evie. Raquel is the one mostly in control at IPCA and sort of acts as a mom for Evie. She could be very strict and occasionally unreasonable but you could tell that she really did care about Evie and see her as a daughter in her own way. Now what you've all been waiting for; I'm going to talk about the two guys fighting over Evie. *swoon* First there is Reth, the faerie; he was unbelieveably dark and dangerously enticing. Part of me wanted him but knew I shouldn't. Then we have the lovely Lend who comes along, forcing Evie to re-evaluate everything she thought she knew about her position with IPCA. He opens up her mind to the things around her that she has been oblivious too. Plus he's a rock awesome paranormal, cute, sweet, attentive, and has a great sense of humor. So while Reth may have borrowed my heart a couple of times, Lend was who ended up walking away with it for keeps.

Paranormalcy is one of those books that grabs you and snatches you into the story from the very first page. It doesn't hesitate when it comes to jumping into the action and getting things rolling. It was so fast-paced, witty, and full of action and suspense; I never wanted it to end. I loved the incorporation of all the various paranormals throughout the story; it really spiced things up. Also, Paranormalcy seemed to have an almost dystopian-like quality, only set in modern time, that I really liked. Not the whole book but everything dealing with IPCA. Maybe it's just me but I got that kind of vibe throughout the story with the way things were playing out and the realizations Evie came to. Not to mention some of the slightly moral questions it made both Evie and I ponder. Anywho. The story overall was just brilliantly plotted!

White's writing was very keenly crafted and you can definitely tell she has a writing style all her own, a writing style that I very much enjoyed and relished every moment of.

The ending didn't have some huge cliffhanger which I'm actually somewhat grateful for; honestly I don't think I could bear all the extra suspense without going whack-o waiting for the next book. *eye twitches* I did love the ending though and it was plenty enough to leave me excited for what's to come.

In the end, Paranormalcy was a continuously engaging work of genius unlike any other book I've ever read; and that is saying a LOT these days. I give two thumbs way, way up to Kiersten White. I recommend this book to everyone and if you ignore my recommendation and don't read Paranormalcy, I'll send IPCA to bag-and-tag your bleep, only releasing you once you've read the book. So as you can see, I'm not exactly giving you a choice. ;P Personally, I already feel like reading this book again and I can't wait for more.

Grade
Characters: A+
Writing: A
Plot: A+
Ending: A-
#1 in Series: A
Enjoyment/Likability: A+
Recommendable: A+

Overall: A+
(Up until now, only ONE book has held this title. Paranormalcy is now the second to receive an A+)

Cover: A-

HAPPY BOOK BIRTHDAY TO PARANORMALCY BY KIERSTEN WHITE!!!




4 comments:

Unknown said...

WOW what an honor! I loved this one too, so original and different - I even named my eReader after Lend! :D

Alex Bennett from Electrifying Reviews said...

I'm reading it now and LOVING it!

Jeanna said...

This book sounds really good; I'm going to read it soon!

Sandy said...

This may be one of the longest reviews I've ever read from you o_o

and I completely agree with you, 100%! :)

About Me

My photo
Georgia, United States
Hello all! My name is Briana, I'm 20, and I live in the beautiful state of Georgia. I love reading and photography.

My Partner in Crime...er...I mean reading. :P

My Partner in Crime...er...I mean reading. :P
Meet Rudy everyone!