My Pages

Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

Site Announcements, Updates, Etc

Coming Soon:
~Review: The Killing Woods
~Review: The Waiting Sky
~Review: A Certain Slant of Light
~Review: Timepiece
~Review: Infinityglass


Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Noteworthy Passages: Bloodmaiden

Bloodmaiden by Christine E. Schulze
Publisher: Old Line Publishing
Pub. Date: May 28th, 2010
Pages: 208
Age Level: 12+


Synopsis via GoodReads
Zale. Gauthier. Varden. These three dynasties... They all sound like something out of an ancient, oriental myth or fairy tale. The concept of humans and dragons helping and living in harmony with one another, without fear. To me, that's exactly what they are. A distant dream only read of, whispered secretly, quietly yearned for. For, you see, I am the new Quelda of Tynan. These words echo the mystery, horror, and romance found within Schulze's fantasy novel. Along with her new husband, Chalom, Crislin must choose to embrace cruel tradition, run from it, or stand against it. The young couple's only hope is to rally the help of the three peaceful dragon dynasties of Sulaimon-but tradition is not on their side, even outside the realm of Tynan. The dragons outside Tynan's borders have been rumored as too stubborn and proud to believe their Tynanian brothers would commit such horrors as inflicted upon the Quelda. Gaining their aid is not a likely hope. Yet, any hope at all is valued in Tynan... If they are to stand a chance of bringing cruel tradition to a permanent end, Crisilin and Chalom must brave the constant, consuming blizzards of the Ever-white. They must brave the three dynasties and the challenges awaiting there. Together, they must convince the dragon emperors to allow them access to the shrines which house the sacred Aria - protective strands of music which may be able to disperse the evil from Tynan and unite the four dynasties of Sulaimon as a whole once again. Their only aid stems from a sprite whose moods are as unstable as her magic, a young minstrel, and a mysterious fox. Despite the odds, such plans are daring, dangerous, unprecedented, but fully possible - if they can escape the Wall first.


Noteworthy Passages

Crislin; pg. 89
The next moment, we were flying, weightless like feathers, laughing as we frolicked effortlessly. I wasn't sure which was more exhilarating-the plunging down or shooting up. Because once you knew the down would lead to an up, you could enjoy the down as its adrenalin pumped through you. But then to soar up and become one with the air as you gulped down the pure, cool gusts, to dance, jump, and run as if you were the wind...how indescribably amazing.

Crislin; pg. 143
Plunging into the sea of bright greens, the calm of the fields was replaced by a new sort of calm, one not so wistful and melancholy but dreamy and hopeful. We'd entered a new world, one my aunt told me of often as a young child. Everywhere life teemed. Monkeys chattered and leapt with silent deft over our heads. Flying squirrels dove and glided with the same ease and grace. All kinds of birds, hidden in the brilliant spectrum of huge, colorful, full-blooming flowers, sang in a beautiful cacophony of upbeat rhythms and soothing melodies. Water glistened upon every inch of the forest. Shafts of sun sneaked through the thick canopy of towering trees, lighting upon water droplets, illuminating everything with the tiniest, purest diamonds. We had stepped into one of the greatest storehouses of Usamah's greatest treasure.

~~~~~~~~~

Is that not some of the most beautifully descriptive writing you've ever read? Well, it is to me. Bloodmaiden was a great fantasy novel and I hope that these passages combined with my Review will encourage you to read it.

Thank you all for stopping by and please feel free to leave a comment with your thoughts. :D










PLEASE NOTE: This is a feature hosted here at my blog in which I present you with selected passages or quotes that I deem Noteworthy from a book I've just reviewed. My hopes are of course, that these passages will make you want to pick the book up and read it. This feature was started and created by me in January in hopes of making my blog more unique. That being said, I would like to kindly request that you do not use this feature as it was intended to be for my blog only and is not a meme. If you see some one else using it, please know it is without my permission. Thank you.

1 comments:

TK Richardson said...

Ooh, this one sounds really good! I must check it out!

About Me

My photo
Georgia, United States
Hello all! My name is Briana, I'm 20, and I live in the beautiful state of Georgia. I love reading and photography.

My Partner in Crime...er...I mean reading. :P

My Partner in Crime...er...I mean reading. :P
Meet Rudy everyone!