My Pages

Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

Site Announcements, Updates, Etc

Coming Soon:
~Review: The Killing Woods
~Review: The Waiting Sky
~Review: A Certain Slant of Light
~Review: Timepiece
~Review: Infinityglass


Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Review: Give Up the Ghost

Give Up the Ghost by Megan Crewe
Publisher: Henry Holt
Pub. Date: September 15th, 2009
Pages: 256
Age Level: 14+

Synopsis
Cass McKenna much prefers ghosts to 'breathers.' Ghosts are uncomplicated and dependable. They know the dirt on everybody . . . and Cass loves dirt.

She's on a mission to expose the dirty secrets of all of the poseurs in her school. But when the vice president of the student council discovers her secret, Cass's whole scheme hangs in the balance. Tim wants her help to contact his recently deceased mother, but Cass is less than enthusiastic.

Kicking and screaming, Cass becomes increasingly entwined in Tim's life. And she's more surprised than anyone when she realizes that maybe some living people aren't so bad if she'd only give them a chance.

Review
My first thought when I began reading this book was,"Oh my gosh, Cass sounds just like me!" This isn't exactly a good thing, the whole I don't give a darn attitude. Though it worked for her as a character. I also later discovered we actually had a lot in common. I know all to well what it feels like to be betrayed by someone you thought was your friend. In the end, Cass was a witty, realistic, and relateable character whom I really enjoyed. Her relationship with her mom and how it changed was a touching element addition to this book.

As for Tim, well I just liked him okay. I know his mother died, but he seemed too whiny and a little selfish. I don't know, I just didn't really care for him. He didn't seem to develop much through out the story either. However I really liked the ghosts. They may have only been minor characters but they were funny and entertaining. And Danielle, well she just didn't make since to me.

In general, I thought Give Up the Ghost had an original plot that grabbed my attention, though I sometimes felt that there was something missing. Though the book had a paranormal aspect to it, the book wasn't centered around it. I found it was more character driven and I liked that. It was fast paced without being rushed and the ending fit well. Though I was disappointed to see that, unlike Cass, Tim hadn't really changed much since the beginning.

I would recommend this book to anyone looking for a quick and enjoyable read. I probably will eventually re-read it and I would definitely like to get my ARC replaced with a finished copy. :P

Grade
Characters: B
Writing: B-
Plot: B
Ending: B-
Cover: B-
Recommendable: B

Overall: B-



6 comments:

Sandy said...

Hm. Being betrayed by a friend is never cool. I've been there too :P

Great review Bri ^^

Anonymous said...

Good review! I almost picked this one up today.

Natascha De Marco said...

Hey I just realized Im your number 1 in comments!!! Yay!

Anyways great review, though I understand Tim for being selfish. I would be too if my mom died and someone would be able to contact her for me.

The Book Resort said...

I just loved this one.

Lenore Appelhans said...

Getting to this one soon (I hope!).

Sarbear said...

I've been wanting to read this one!

About Me

My photo
Georgia, United States
Hello all! My name is Briana, I'm 20, and I live in the beautiful state of Georgia. I love reading and photography.

My Partner in Crime...er...I mean reading. :P

My Partner in Crime...er...I mean reading. :P
Meet Rudy everyone!