My Pages

Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

Site Announcements, Updates, Etc

Coming Soon:
~Review: The Killing Woods
~Review: The Waiting Sky
~Review: A Certain Slant of Light
~Review: Timepiece
~Review: Infinityglass


Sunday, May 22, 2011

Noteworthy Passages: Hourglass

Hourglass (ARC) by Myra McEntire
Publisher: EgmontUSA
Pub. Date: June 14th, 2011
Pages: 397
Series: Hourglass, #1
Age Level: 14+
Source: For review from publisher.


Disclaimer: Please note that this is an ARC and passages and quotes below are subject to change in the final copy.


Synopsis via Goodreads
One hour to rewrite the past . . .

For seventeen-year-old Emerson Cole, life is about seeing what isn’t there: swooning Southern Belles; soldiers long forgotten; a haunting jazz trio that vanishes in an instant. Plagued by phantoms since her parents’ death, she just wants the apparitions to stop so she can be normal. She’s tried everything, but the visions keep coming back.

So when her well-meaning brother brings in a consultant from a secretive organization called the Hourglass, Emerson’s willing to try one last cure. But meeting Michael Weaver may not only change her future, it may change her past.

Who is this dark, mysterious, sympathetic guy, barely older than Emerson herself, who seems to believe every crazy word she says? Why does an electric charge seem to run through the room whenever he’s around? And why is he so insistent that he needs her help to prevent a death that never should have happened?

Full of atmosphere, mystery, and romance, Hourglass merges the very best of the paranormal and science-fiction genres in a seductive, remarkable young adult debut.

Noteworthy Passages

Emerson; pg. 1
My small Southern hometown is beautiful in the haunting way an aging debutante is beautiful. The bones are exquisite, but the skin could use a lift. You could say my brother, the architect, is Ivy Springs's plastic surgeon.

Emerson; pg. 122
Autumn always fascinated me--so much beauty in dying. Leaves holding on until the bitter end, finally going down in a blaze of glory, almost as if they were trying to convince us to keep them alive.

Emerson, Kaleb, & Michael; pg. 229
"First of all, no one is the boss of me but me. Secondly, if you ever reference 'my chain' again, I will kick your ass." I jabbed him in the chest with my finger. Possibly breaking it. "And thirdly, don't call me Shorty."
Kaleb sat silently for a second, his eyes wide as he looked at Michael. "Where did you find her? Can you get me one?"
I blew out a loud frustrated sigh and dropped down beside Michael, who didn't even try to hide his smile. "You should probably apologize to Emerson."
"I am sorry." Kaleb grinned at me. "Sorry I didn't meet you first."


~~~~~~~~~~~~

If these passages don't have you dying to read this book then I don't know what will. I thought the first two were excellent examples of McEntire's exquisite writing style while the third really displays Emerson's wit and a small glimpse at why I love Kaleb. For more on my thoughts on Hourglass, you can read my Review.

As always, thanks for stopping by.


Buy Hourglass, like, NOW:
Amazon / B&N / Kindle / Nook / Book Depository









PLEASE NOTE: This is a feature hosted here at my blog in which I present you with selected passages or quotes that I deem Noteworthy from a book I've just reviewed. My hopes are of course, that these passages will make you want to pick the book up and read it. This feature was started and created by me in January in hopes of making my blog more unique. That being said, I would like to kindly request that you do not use this feature as it was intended to be for my blog only and is not a meme. If you see some one else using it, please know it is without my permission. Thank you.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love these, especially the last one! Can't wait to read Hourglass.

Alyssa said...

Hourglass looks so amazing!! Thanks for sharing those awesome quotes... that last one is so intriguing :)
- Alyssa of Redhead Heroines

BookGeek said...

I've already pre-ordered the book. Super pumped!

Shannon The Bookstalker said...

Ohh! I can't wait to read this one for myself and I look forward to your review of it too!

About Me

My photo
Georgia, United States
Hello all! My name is Briana, I'm 20, and I live in the beautiful state of Georgia. I love reading and photography.

My Partner in Crime...er...I mean reading. :P

My Partner in Crime...er...I mean reading. :P
Meet Rudy everyone!