My Pages

Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

Site Announcements, Updates, Etc

Coming Soon:
~Review: The Killing Woods
~Review: The Waiting Sky
~Review: A Certain Slant of Light
~Review: Timepiece
~Review: Infinityglass


Friday, March 18, 2011

Noteworthy Passages: Wither

Wither (ARC) by Lauren DeStefano
Publisher: Simon & Schuster Children's Publishing
Pub. Date: March 22nd, 2010
Pages: 356
Series: Chemical Garden Trilogy, #1
Age Level: 14+
Source: For review from publisher.


Disclaimer: Please note that this is an ARC and passages and quotes below are subject to change in the final copy.

Synopsis via Goodreads
What if you knew exactly when you would die?

Thanks to modern science, every human being has become a ticking genetic time bomb—males only live to age twenty-five, and females only live to age twenty. In this bleak landscape, young girls are kidnapped and forced into polygamous marriages to keep the population from dying out.

When sixteen-year-old Rhine Ellery is taken by the Gatherers to become a bride, she enters a world of wealth and privilege. Despite her husband Linden's genuine love for her, and a tenuous trust among her sister wives, Rhine has one purpose: to escape—to find her twin brother and go home.

But Rhine has more to contend with than losing her freedom. Linden's eccentric father is bent on finding an antidote to the genetic virus that is getting closer to taking his son, even if it means collecting corpses in order to test his experiments. With the help of Gabriel, a servant Rhine is growing dangerously attracted to, Rhine attempts to break free, in the limited time she has left.


Noteworthy Passages

Rhine; pg. 116
She seems like a wild bird that has been tamed and is surveying its captivity in a daze in which captivity doesn't seem so bad.

Rhine; pg. 224
And in this blurry, somewhat inebriated state, I can almost see what Gabriel meant when he asked What has the free world got that you can't get here?
Almost.

Rhine; pg. 318
I smile. For a moment I think this is the way my father felt about my mother, and I could almost swear this marriage is real. A stranger passing by would think we had been together for years, that we planned to live the rest of our lives together. I always knew I was an excellent liar; I just didn't know I had it in me to fool myself.


~~~~~~~~~~~~

Hope those passages were enough to leave you wanting more. Wither truly was an amazing read and you can find out even more on what I thought by reading my Review.

Thanks for stopping by and remember, comments are loved. :)


Buy it now: Amazon / Kindle / Book Depository










PLEASE NOTE: This is a feature hosted here at my blog in which I present you with selected passages or quotes that I deem Noteworthy from a book I've just reviewed. My hopes are of course, that these passages will make you want to pick the book up and read it. This feature was started and created by me in January in hopes of making my blog more unique. That being said, I would like to kindly request that you do not use this feature as it was intended to be for my blog only and is not a meme. If you see some one else using it, please know it is without my permission. Thank you.

2 comments:

DareAngel77 said...

This looks really good! Another book on my list.

Nikki (Wicked Awesome Books) said...

Ok, you've convinced me with these passages that I need to read Wither!

About Me

My photo
Georgia, United States
Hello all! My name is Briana, I'm 20, and I live in the beautiful state of Georgia. I love reading and photography.

My Partner in Crime...er...I mean reading. :P

My Partner in Crime...er...I mean reading. :P
Meet Rudy everyone!