My Pages

Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

Site Announcements, Updates, Etc

Coming Soon:
~Review: The Killing Woods
~Review: The Waiting Sky
~Review: A Certain Slant of Light
~Review: Timepiece
~Review: Infinityglass


Sunday, March 20, 2011

Review: The Liar Society

The Liar Society (ARC) by Lisa & Laura Roecker
Publisher: Sourcebooks Fire
Pub. Date: March 1st, 2011
Pages: 361
Series: Liar Society, #1
Age Level: 14+
Source: From publisher for review


Synopsis via Goodreads
Kate Lowry didn't think dead best friends could send e-mails. But when she gets an e-mail from Grace, she’s not so sure.

To: KateLowry@pemberlybrown.edu
Sent: Sun 9/14 11:59 PM
From: GraceLee@pemberlybrown.edu
Subject: (no subject)

Kate,
I'm here…
sort of.
Find Cameron.
He knows.
I shouldn't be writing.
Don't tell.
They'll hurt you.

Now Kate has no choice but to prove once and for all that Grace’s death was more than just a tragic accident. But secrets haunt the halls of her elite private school. Secrets people will do anything to protect. Even if it means getting rid of the girl trying to solve a murder...

Review
Some of my favorite series as a child were mystery series, like the Mandie and Nancy Drew books. Now that I'm older, it's been difficult trying to find some really good YA mystery series. I began reading the Scarlett Wakefield series by Lauren Henderson back last year, which I'm really enjoying, but now I'm having to wait for the next book to release. Then The Liar Society walked into my life and I'm so delighted it did!

Together, the Roecker sisters managed to create a wide array of dynamic characters, both main and supporting. First we have our witty and sarcastic sleuth of a heroine, Kate. Kate is in no way a fool, knowing all along that there was more to Grace's death than just a freak accident. After receiving a mysterious email, Kate finally gains that extra push she needed to go out and investigate the death of her best friend for herself. Many have compared her to Nancy Drew and it is easy to see why; she's observant, determined, and lovable to boot. I really enjoyed getting to watch Kate grow stronger throughout the story and step out of the shell she'd built up around herself. Two other characters I absolutely adored were Seth and Liam, each for entirely different reasons. Seth is Kate's geeky, conspiracy theorist neighbor, who, bless his scrawny little heart, has got a bad case of the puppy love for Kate. I, the reader, know this poor boy doesn't have a chance but you gotta admire his spunk, spirit, and drive to keep on tryin'. At times, I thought Kate could be a bit harsh towards Seth but she was usually quick to apologize and I was glad to see them become friends. At first, I wasn't sure what to expect of Liam, this supposed shady bad boy with a rep. As it turns out, he wasn't at all like Kate or I expected and I found him to be quite sweet and charming once we both understood what all was going on with him. There were some very well done minor characters as well including, but not limited to: Ms. D.; Beefany Bethany; Taylor; Maddie; Porter; and Alistair.

The Liar Society is humorous and fun but also has some subtly serious undertones weaved in, providing texture. Stir in a compelling mystery that kept me guessing and you've got quite the story. While I did have a pretty good idea about who was involved in Grace's death, I didn't know the How's or Why's, which kept me flipping the pages to find out what really happened that night. I was surprised by how deep the plot went, involving the school's history and more. This just made the mystery all the more intriguing. I would have liked a little more background information concerning the 'S' and 'B' but I get the feeling more of that will come into play in the sequel.

I've only read a couple of books before that have been co-written. I've got to say, there was absolutely no way I could have told that The Liar Society was written by two different authors. Lisa and Laura's writing flowed seamlessly and was sassy and well paced.

I've got to admit, I wasn't really sure how I was expecting The Liar Society to end. I think it is safe to say I felt basically the same way as Kate did, shocked that after everything, that's how things worked out. However, I did really like the ending and think it did a great job setting up for the next book. Thankfully, it wasn't really a cliffhanger so much as it just left me wanting more.

The Liar Society is a refreshing and fun contemporary mystery that really stands out. This is one debut you will not want to miss and I can't wait to get my hands on the next book. Lisa and Laura are a seriously talented pair of authors and I'm looking forward to seeing what these two sisters come up with next.

Grade
Characters: A-
Writing: B
Plot: B+
Ending: B
1st in Series: B+
Enjoyment/Likability: B
Recommendable: B+

Overall: B+

Cover: B

Buy The Liar Society Now: Amazon / Kindle / Book Depository


3 comments:

Book Twirps said...

Great review. I'll definitely have to check this one out.

Angela @ Reading Angels said...

I just got this as a RAK yesterday so I'm glad to see you enjoyed it so much!

Just So Jess said...

I am reading this one right now and am loving it so far.
Great review!

About Me

My photo
Georgia, United States
Hello all! My name is Briana, I'm 20, and I live in the beautiful state of Georgia. I love reading and photography.

My Partner in Crime...er...I mean reading. :P

My Partner in Crime...er...I mean reading. :P
Meet Rudy everyone!