My Pages

Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

Site Announcements, Updates, Etc

Coming Soon:
~Review: The Killing Woods
~Review: The Waiting Sky
~Review: A Certain Slant of Light
~Review: Timepiece
~Review: Infinityglass


Monday, May 18, 2009

A Child Called "It" by Dave Pelzer

A Child Called "It": One Child's Courage to Survive by Dave Pelzer

Synopsis: Amazon.com Review
David J. Pelzer's mother, Catherine Roerva, was, he writes in this ghastly, fascinating memoir, a devoted den mother to the Cub Scouts in her care, and somewhat nurturant to her children--but not to David, whom she referred to as "an It." This book is a brief, horrifying account of the bizarre tortures she inflicted on him, told from the point of view of the author as a young boy being starved, stabbed, smashed face-first into mirrors, forced to eat the contents of his sibling's diapers and a spoonful of ammonia, and burned over a gas stove by a maniacal, alcoholic mom. Sometimes she claimed he had violated some rule--no walking on the grass at school!--but mostly it was pure sadism. Inexplicably, his father didn't protect him; only an alert schoolteacher saved David. One wants to learn more about his ordeal and its aftermath, and now he's written a sequel, The Lost Boy, detailing his life in the foster-care system.

Grade: A-

Review
A Child Called "It" is a different breed of horror story. This book goes to show how one's life can go from seemingly perfect to a wretched nightmare. I found myself, at times, wanting to cry, scream, and/or quit reading the book altogether. Never have I read a book that has evoked so much emotion from me the way this one did. Dave Pelzer wrote so vividly that I could see everything happening. I can't even imagine what it must have been like to write this, though I can guess it wasn't easy. I think everyone should read this book and help shed a light on the problem of child abuse.

Overall
Heartbreaking story of one boy's struggle to survive. Not for the faint of heart or weak of stomach.

Cover: A+
I can't really think of anything I would change about the cover. It fits the book perfectly.

1 comments:

Liyana said...

My friend recommended this to me a few years ago. I didn't have the stomach to read it then, and I don't think I have the stomach for it now. :x Great review!

About Me

My photo
Georgia, United States
Hello all! My name is Briana, I'm 20, and I live in the beautiful state of Georgia. I love reading and photography.

My Partner in Crime...er...I mean reading. :P

My Partner in Crime...er...I mean reading. :P
Meet Rudy everyone!