My Pages

Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

Site Announcements, Updates, Etc

Coming Soon:
~Review: The Killing Woods
~Review: The Waiting Sky
~Review: A Certain Slant of Light
~Review: Timepiece
~Review: Infinityglass


Saturday, May 23, 2009

Song of the Sparrow

Song of the Sparrow by Lisa Ann Sandell

Age Level: Young Adult

Synopsis(From Amazon)

Since the days of King Arthur, there have been poems and paintings created in her name. She is Elaine of Ascolat, the Lady of Shalott, and now there is a book all her own. The year is 490 A.D. and 16-year-old Elaine has a temperament to match her fiery red hair. Living on a military base with her father, brothers, and the rest of Arthur's army, Elaine pines for the handsome Lancelot, and longs for a female friend. But when the cruel, beautiful Gwynivere arrives, Elaine is confronted with startling emotions of jealousy and rivalry. Can Elaine find the strength to survive the birth of a kingdom?

Review
This is the first book I have ever read that was written in verse, so I admit to being skeptical, at first.

Well, to my surprise, I loved it! Song of the Sparrow was such an eloquently written story of love and war, family and friendship. The story flowed so smoothly from one page onto the next, making it almost impossible to put down. A favorite by far, this is one of the most touching and heartfelt novels I've ever read.

Her characters were well developed and very realistic. Sandell creates such a beautiful voice in the heroine Elaine. She was a truly genuine character, and despite the time period, very easy to connect with.

As for the ending, what more could I have asked for? It ended exactly how I would have hoped. I simply wish that this book had been longer. Because of the style it is written in, it could have stood to be twice as long.

In the Author's Notes, you can tell that Lisa Ann Sandell definately did her research, tying in characters from past famous works such as, "Tristen and Isolde" and "The Lady of Shalott". Whether you are a fan of Camelot mythology or not, this is a captivating story well worth reading over and over again.

Grade
Characters: A-
Writing: A+
Plot: A-
Ending: A
Cover: A
Recommendable: A

Overall: A

4 comments:

Sandy said...

I have been DYING to read this book ever since I saw the cover. I just think it's so romantic and ethereal... and I sound like a loser, lol.

~The Book Pixie said...

lol. No you don't. It's an awesome book and I actually wanted to read it again right after I finished it. lol.

Eli said...

I had no idea that this was partly based off the Lady of Shalott! I loved that poem ever since I was a kid. I did a project on it for my senior portfolio in High School. Now I must check it out!

Liyana said...

I knew of the Lady of Shalott after reading Meg Ccabot;s Avalon High. Never read a book written i nverse, but it sure seems interesting!

About Me

My photo
Georgia, United States
Hello all! My name is Briana, I'm 20, and I live in the beautiful state of Georgia. I love reading and photography.

My Partner in Crime...er...I mean reading. :P

My Partner in Crime...er...I mean reading. :P
Meet Rudy everyone!