My Pages

Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

Site Announcements, Updates, Etc

Coming Soon:
~Review: The Killing Woods
~Review: The Waiting Sky
~Review: A Certain Slant of Light
~Review: Timepiece
~Review: Infinityglass


Monday, May 18, 2009

Uglies by Scott Westerfeld

Uglies by Scott Westerfeld

Synopsis
Everybody gets to be supermodel gorgeous. What could be wrong with that?

Tally is about to turn sixteen, and she can't wait. Not for her license -- for turning pretty. In Tally's world, your sixteenth birthday brings an operation that turns you from a repellent ugly into a stunningly attractive pretty and catapults you into a high-tech paradise where your only job is to have a really great time. In just a few weeks Tally will be there.

But Tally's new friend Shay isn't sure she wants to be pretty. She'd rather risk life on the outside. When Shay runs away, Tally learns about a whole new side of the pretty world -- and it isn't very pretty. The authorities offer Tally the worst choice she can imagine: find her friend and turn her in, or never turn pretty at all. The choice Tally makes changes her world forever.

Grade: B

Review
This book was unlike anything I've ever read. In Uglies, Westerfeld presents a very thought-provoking scenario of what could happen to the world in years to come. You can not help but notice the scary similarities between the"Rusties" and the way people are now. I've come to notice that most worlds and societies created, that are meant to be utopias, consequently turn out to be dystopias. This book is an excellent example of how things go wrong when you try to make them perfect.

Uglies was full of action and suspense that kept me wanting more. The characters were also very well written with each showing a different and distinct personality. I could not help but sympathize with Tally. She surprisingly realistic and very easy to relate to. Westerfeld does an excellent job of exploring teen emotions of jealousy, fear, betrayl, intimidation, joy, sadness, love, self-consciousness, confusion, and the need to belong, through his characters.

This was an excellent book that I would recommend to everybody, even adults. I can't wait to read the rest in this series.

Overall
A terrific beginning to an excellent series.

Cover: A
An excellent cover that fits this book perfectly. Very original and it screams read me! The only thing I'm not crazy about is the fact that part of the title and author's name are printed on Tally's face.

6 comments:

Unknown said...

I'm glad you liked it so much because I have just purchased it and was nervous whether I soent my money well or not. It seems like I did, I can't wait to start reading it now.

Eli said...

This is one of most favorite book series! I personally recommend it to anyone. I am very pleased you enjoyed it, hope you like the rest of the books! Great review. :)

Liyana said...

This is in my TBR list. The whole concept intrigues me. I'm not sure whether it's the fact that this reminds me of how teenagers in South Korea get plastic surgery coupons from--of all people--their parents for their 16th birthday.

~The Book Pixie said...

If my mom had given me a coupon for plastic surgery on my 16th birthday, I'd have been insulted. I can hear me now, "My nose might be big, but it ain't THAT big."

Cindy said...

I also have Uglies sitten on my shelf but have not read it yet. You made me want to read it even more now! lol

Oryfan said...

I bookmarked your review and I'll skim through it later. I'm currently readig this, so I'm avoiding and spoilers of sorts. I just have to say this book is amazing. I love the whole concept. Mr. Westerfeld is a genius!

About Me

My photo
Georgia, United States
Hello all! My name is Briana, I'm 20, and I live in the beautiful state of Georgia. I love reading and photography.

My Partner in Crime...er...I mean reading. :P

My Partner in Crime...er...I mean reading. :P
Meet Rudy everyone!