My Pages

Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

Site Announcements, Updates, Etc

Coming Soon:
~Review: The Killing Woods
~Review: The Waiting Sky
~Review: A Certain Slant of Light
~Review: Timepiece
~Review: Infinityglass


Thursday, January 20, 2011

Help Support L.K. Madigan Contest!

CLOSED!
Hello everyone. The other day I came across some startling and heartbreaking news. While lurking about on twitter, I saw a link to a contest for L.K. Madigan's books. While reading the post, I came across a part that said that Madigan had just posted some difficult news with a link to the post. What I found when I went to said post broke my heart and left tears pooling in my eyes.

For those of you who are not already aware, L.K. Madigan, YA author of Flash Burnout and The Mermaid's Mirror, has been diagnosed with stage IV pancreatic cancer. To make matters worse, the cancer has already metastasized to her liver. You can read more about what's going on with Lisa here.

This brings me back to the contest I had seen. After reading Madigan's post I got to thinking, "Forget entering for the books. They are both high on my wishlist and I have a few extra bucks so I'll go ahead and buy them, save the contest for those who can't afford to buy the books at this time." And that's what I did. I promptly ordered hardcovers of both Flash Burnout and The Mermaid's Mirror from Amazon. I will be reading them and reviewing them as soon as they get here.

But simply spreading the word and buying her books didn't feel like quite enough for me. I kept thinking to myself, "I can do better than this. This author deserves every ounce of support I can give her." Up until my mom and I no longer had any form of transportation, we both held positions on the Relay for Life committee here, with me as their photographer and my mom as the advocacy chair. The pastor at my church had cancer, my old health teacher did, and many others I know so I have seen in person the toll cancer can take on a person, their family, their friends, and the community as a whole. And so was born a new contest to help draw in even more support for L.K. Madigan during this hard time for her and her family.

With the help of some very awesome people, I have managed to put together quite the prize pile for anyone who orders one or both of L.K. Madigan's books.


~~~~~~~~~~~

Rules:
1) Must order atleast one of L.K. Madigan's two books. Either Flash Burnout, The Mermaid's Mirror, or both. Buying both will earn you even more entries. As will spreading the word.
Comments are appreciated as well though you must fill out one of the below forms for entry.

Buy Flash Burnout: Amazon; Borders; Barnes and Noble; Book Depository
Buy The Mermaid's Mirror: Amazon; Borders; Barnes and Noble; Book Depository

2) Book(s) must be purchased from an actual retailer such as Amazon, Barnes and Noble, Book Depository, Borders, etc. Books purchased from used book stores or through a third party seller will not be counted as the whole point of this is to support the author and authors make no money off said books.

3) You must email me some form of proof of purchase BEFORE entering. You can email it to me here: thebookpixie[at]yahoo[dot]com (Can forward receipt or send picture of receipt if bought in a store.)

4) Purchases must be as of Jan. 12th, the day Lisa's post went up, or later. Nothing before Jan. 12th will be valid.


5) Contest will end February 3rd at 11:59 PM EST.

6) US participants aren't eligible for the international prize, and vise versa, so please fill out the correct form.

Winners:
5 US winners will win 4 prizes each from the prize pile. I will make sure each winner get's at least one of their top three choices.

One International Winner can get up to $25 worth of books from The Book Depository. (Make sure they ship to your country HERE.) (Thanks to Jenn who donated $15 to go towards this prize.)

Prize Pile:
(1) Losing Faith by Denise Jaden and swag (Provided by me)
(1) Crescendo by Becca Fitzpatrick and swag (Provided by me)
(1) ARC Plague by Michael Grant and swag (Provided by me.)
(1) Personal Demons by Lisa Desrochers and swag (Provided by me.)
(1) Delirium by Lauren Oliver (Donated by Lenore of Presenting Lenore and will be ordered from Amazon)
(1) Jenna and Jonah's Fauxmance by Brendan Halpin and Emily Franklin (Donated by author, Brendan Halpin)
(1) Shutout by Brendan Halpin (Donated by author, Brendan Halpin)
(1) Fractured by Joanna Karaplis (Donated by author)

(1) The Iron Witch by Karen Mahoney (Donated by Jenn of Book Crazy)
(1) Nocturne by Syrie James and swag (Donated by Angela of Reading Angel)
(1) Vampireology by Nicky Raven(Donated by Patricia of Patricia's Vampire Notes)
(1) Radiance by Alyson Noel (Donated by Mavie of The Bookologist)

(2) The Long Weekend by Savita Kalhan (Donated by author)
(1)Signed! Son of Eden by Brianna J. Merrill (Donated by the author)
(1) Shiver by Maggie Stifvater (Donated by Shannon of Shannon Whitney Messenger)
(1) Mockingjay by Suzanne Collins (Donated by Nikki of Wicked Awesome Books)
(1) Signed! Fat Vampire by Adam Rex (Donated by Nikki of Wicked Awesome Books)
(1) Zombies vs. Unicorns by Various Authors (Donated by Nikki of Wicked Awesome Books)
(1) Something, Maybe by Elizabeth Scott (Donated by Nikki of Wicked Awesome Books)




For those of you who are unable to buy the books you can still help support L.K. Madigan. Cindy Pon and The Debutantes are having a contest for 40 sets of L.K. Madigan's books and you can enter to win them simply by spreading the word. Ends Jan. 31st. Go HERE to enter.

For those of you who can spare the money and buy the books, it is greatly appreciated! Regardless of how any of you choose to show your support, though, I hope that you will all keep L.K. Madigan and her family in your prayers and send her the best of wishes.


9 comments:

Denise Jaden said...

This is such a wonderful thing you are doing! I'd be happy to send some Losing Faith swag for winners too if you're interested. Feel free to email me your address at d(at)denisejaden(dot) com

Candace said...

This is a fantastic idea! I don't have Flash Burnout yet so we'll see what the money situation is. I'll definitely be keeping this contest in mind :)

Pisinat said...

I was and I still am so sad to learn what happens to her...
I think this event organized on the whole blogosphere is a really great idea,a really great way to honour her.
Thank you.

Anonymous said...

Hi Briana,
I ordered Flash Burnout through Amazon and sent you a copy of the order to your e-mail. I had checked out The Mermaid's Mirror from our local library and will promote L.K. Madigan's books. I am deeply touched by what you are doing and send my heartfelt prayers to her and her family!
I will also tweet this beautiful contest of love and support!
Best,
Liza

Cheryl Renee Herbsman said...

You rock! Thank you for doing this for Lisa <3

Sherrie Petersen said...

What a great idea! I ordered Flash Burnout from my local bookstore earlier this week. It's been on my list for a while now. I'm looking forward to reading it :)

Gabrielle Carolina said...

This is a great contest, and so thoughtful of you Briana.

My mother was a R4L girl when I was younger. I feel so much for Lisa and am praying for her.

Nikki (Wicked Awesome Books) said...

I just emailed you and filled out the form. I'm hoping more people still participate. I'd like to see tons of people buying these books :D

Truth Be Told Blog said...

This is an amazing thing you did. There isn't much we can say to make it better but something like this will help show our support as book bloggers. :)

I will now be reading Flash Burnout soon, it sounds amazing.

Val

About Me

My photo
Georgia, United States
Hello all! My name is Briana, I'm 20, and I live in the beautiful state of Georgia. I love reading and photography.

My Partner in Crime...er...I mean reading. :P

My Partner in Crime...er...I mean reading. :P
Meet Rudy everyone!