My Pages

Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

Site Announcements, Updates, Etc

Coming Soon:
~Review: The Killing Woods
~Review: The Waiting Sky
~Review: A Certain Slant of Light
~Review: Timepiece
~Review: Infinityglass


Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Review: Father of Lies

Father of Lies (ARC) by Ann Turner
Publisher: Harper Teen
Pub. Date: February 8th, 2010
Pages: 256
Age Level: 12+
Source: For review via Harper Teen


Synopsis via Goodreads
Truth or Lies?

Lidda knew, with a clarity that was like a candle in a dark room, that all had changed; something was loosed in the village—Devil or not—and they would pay for it, every last man, woman, and child.

Fourteen-year-old Lidda has always known she was different. She longs to escape Salem Village and its stifling rules—to be free to dance, to sing, to live as she chooses. But when a plague of accusations descends on the village and witch fever erupts, L idda begins to realize that she feels and sees things that others can't, or won't. But how will she expose the truth without being hung as a witch herself?

Gripping and emotional, Ann Turner's retelling of the Salem witch trials captures one girl's brave soul-searching amidst a backdrop of fear and blame.

Review
Darkly intriguing and keenly wrought, Father of Lies is an emotional and insightfully woven blend of historical fact and fiction.

Lidda was a very unique and brave heroine that I found myself absolutely captivated by. She is both blessed and haunted with the hallucination of a voice in her head who goes by the name of Lucian. Though Lidda is already wiser than most, Lucian helps her to easily distinguish the difference between the truth and the lies involving the travesties unfolding. Lidda always knew something about her just wasn't quite right compared to the other girls of Salem, and yet I loved how she grew to embrace her individuality rather than trying to smolder it with conformity. Then Lucian was just so intensely alluring and it was easy to see how Lidda came to enjoy his presence. As to whether Lucian was real or not is left up to your own interpretation. Technically and medically speaking it would be said that he was merely a figment of Lidda's imagination brought on by a mental illness, but who are we to say what is real and what is not? I personally prefer to think and believe that Lucian was more than a simple hallucination.

While Father of Lies is only the second book I can recall reading concerning the Salem Witch Trials, I am finding myself to be continuously fascinated by this grim and wicked time in history. Though Lidda and her family are fictional, the rest of the book is based in fact with only a couple of things such as the timeline being altered for 'plotting purposes'. I can remember automatically recognizing some of the characters such as the Reverend, Betty, Ann, etc from having read Wicked Girls a while back. I found I liked getting a different perspective on these characters via Lidda's point of view. I found Father of Lies to be curiously enticing in a way no other book I've read before has been. I think this really had a lot to do with Lidda and Lucian.

The writing was beautifully descriptive and well-crafted, making it easy for me to picture myself in Lidda's shoes. Turner's writing also had that air of authenticity about it. She definitely did her research and made sure to include necessary, additional information at the end.

Father of Lies had a lovely yet bittersweet ending that I thought fit this story perfectly. I really don't know what else to say about it without giving anything away.

All in all, Father of Lies is a powerful story that shows just how dangerous the truth can sometimes be, especially when people would much rather believe the lies. Turner really did an impressive job crafting this novel and I would highly recommend it to fans of historical fiction. Also, if you enjoyed Wicked Girls by Stephanie Hemphill, then I really think you would find yourself thoroughly engaged in this book should you decide to read it. I know Father of Lies is definitely one I'll be reading again in the future.

Grade
Characters: B+
Writing: B
Plot: B
Ending: A-
Enjoyment/Likability: B
Recommendable: B+

Overall: B+

Cover: C
(I feel this new cover is very unoriginal. I much prefer the original ARC cover.)


3 comments:

Unknown said...

I love your reviews. They all have that serious air to them, lol.

I definitely want to read Father of Lies. I've recently acquired a liking for historical fiction, so this one is high on my list.

Thanks for the great review!

Nikki (Wicked Awesome Books) said...

I've never heard of this one before, but the writing seems so beautiful and descriptive. The Salem Witch Trials have always fascinated me, but I don't think I've read too many books about them. The last one I remember is The Crucible and that was a loooong time ago. Great review!

Mavie said...

i agree, i like the old cover better!

About Me

My photo
Georgia, United States
Hello all! My name is Briana, I'm 20, and I live in the beautiful state of Georgia. I love reading and photography.

My Partner in Crime...er...I mean reading. :P

My Partner in Crime...er...I mean reading. :P
Meet Rudy everyone!