My Pages

Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

Site Announcements, Updates, Etc

Coming Soon:
~Review: The Killing Woods
~Review: The Waiting Sky
~Review: A Certain Slant of Light
~Review: Timepiece
~Review: Infinityglass


Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Noteworthy Passages: Father of Lies

Father of Lies (ARC) by Ann Turner
Publisher: Harper Teen
Pub. Date: February 1st, 2010
Pages: 256
Age Level: 12+
Source: For review via Harper Teen

Disclaimer: Please note that this is an ARC and passages and quotes below are subject to change in the final copy.


Synopsis via Goodreads
Truth or Lies?

Lidda knew, with a clarity that was like a candle in a dark room, that all had changed; something was loosed in the village—Devil or not—and they would pay for it, every last man, woman, and child.

Fourteen-year-old Lidda has always known she was different. She longs to escape Salem Village and its stifling rules—to be free to dance, to sing, to live as she chooses. But when a plague of accusations descends on the village and witch fever erupts, L idda begins to realize that she feels and sees things that others can't, or won't. But how will she expose the truth without being hung as a witch herself?

Gripping and emotional, Ann Turner's retelling of the Salem witch trials captures one girl's brave soul-searching amidst a backdrop of fear and blame.

Noteworthy Passages

Lidda and Lucian; pg. 41-42
It did not matter anyway; whatever happened, she could not outrun this...Lucian.
It is foolish to try, girl.
Lidda pressed her mittened hands to her cheeks, forcing them up so the world came in as a slit sky, trees, and snow. With a sob, she let her hands go, then swallowed the next cry. He would not like weakness, of that she was sure. The voice inside was mocking, cutting, as if he was just waiting for her to come to her senses.

Lidda and Lucian; pg. 153
If she had her way, she would be dancing along the street in a red embroidered waistcoat like Goody Bishop, throwing her arms out to the sky and calling down those colored notes of the raucous, entirely unsuitable but oh-so-delicious song that Lucian was singing.
She could sense him twirling inside, dipping and rising, then bending in a graceful arc. Biting her lower lip, Lidda looked at Charity's beloved face, her tight eyes, and tried to still the dancing within.
Oh, go on, girl, you want to dance!
No, not here, not now,
she answered silently.

Lidda; pg. 234
From a tree overhead, a vivid red bird took flight, seeming to carry all of her desire for a wild and free life, full or color and vibrancy, a life free of this stifling village. Wind rustled the leaves, sending them spinning in the clear light. Rimming the edge of each green leaf was a radiance, as if light itself were flowing out of every leaf.
Light. Everywhere. She held up one hand, turning it slowly back and forth. Her fingers blazed with it. Even the sky contained it--arcs of brilliant color--red, purple, and gold, sliding into drops like rain.


~~~~~~~~

Isn't that just beautiful writing?! Almost slightly haunting at times too. I thought Ann Turner did a great job writing this novel and I hope you all enjoyed the passages I picked. You can read my
Review
if you would like to know more on what I thought.

Thanks for stopping by and as always, remember I greatly appreciate hearing your thoughts. :D










PLEASE NOTE: This is a feature hosted here at my blog in which I present you with selected passages or quotes that I deem Noteworthy from a book I've just reviewed. My hopes are of course, that these passages will make you want to pick the book up and read it. This feature was started and created by me in January in hopes of making my blog more unique. That being said, I would like to kindly request that you do not use this feature as it was intended to be for my blog only and is not a meme. If you see some one else using it, please know it is without my permission. Thank you.

3 comments:

Shooting Stars Mag said...

Thanks for sharing. This sounds like a great novel. I'm really fascinated by the Salem Witch Trials.

-Lauren

Nikki (Wicked Awesome Books) said...

These passages are very haunting, but somehow beautiful. I'm going to look more into this book now.

Mavie said...

Very eccentric passages!

About Me

My photo
Georgia, United States
Hello all! My name is Briana, I'm 20, and I live in the beautiful state of Georgia. I love reading and photography.

My Partner in Crime...er...I mean reading. :P

My Partner in Crime...er...I mean reading. :P
Meet Rudy everyone!