My Pages

Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

Site Announcements, Updates, Etc

Coming Soon:
~Review: The Killing Woods
~Review: The Waiting Sky
~Review: A Certain Slant of Light
~Review: Timepiece
~Review: Infinityglass


Saturday, August 1, 2009

Review: Far From You

Far From You by Lisa Schroeder
Publisher: Simon Pulse
Pub Date: December 23, 2008
Pages: 368
Age Level: YA

Synopsis
Lost and alone...down the rabbit hole.

Years have passed since Alice lost her mother to cancer, but time hasn't quite healed the wound. Alice copes the best she can by writing her music, losing herself in her love for her boyfriend, and distancing herself from her father and his new wife.

But when a deadly snowstorm traps Alice with her stepmother and newborn half sister, she'll face issues she's been avoiding for too long. As Alice looks to the heavens for guidance, she discovers something wonderful.

Perhaps she's not so alone after all....

 
Review
Far From You was a beautifully written and poignant lyricism like I’ve never read before. This being the first book I’ve read by Lisa Schroeder, I was surprised by the powerful quality of emotions that this story was able to evoke. Despite being 368 pages, it read quickly, though without the feeling of being rushed.

Alice was such a wonderful and genuine character, going through the expected emotions of jealousy, grief, and hate. Being without the person she held most dear to her heart, her mother, it is easy to see why she would feel bitter and unwanted when her father remarries and brings a new baby into the family. It isn’t until she is stranded in a blizzard with her step-mom and half-sister that she finally comes to terms with her loss and learns to love her new family. I feel that the mention of Alice’s faith and beliefs made her even more realistic and easier for me to relate too.

Some of the other characters weren’t quite as likable as Alice. For example, I thought her boyfriend, Blaze, was a little two-dimensional. I find this doesn’t really bother me though. Far From You is mainly about Alice’s journey through hate and grief to find love and happiness, so I didn’t really mind that some of the minor characters were less developed.

Far From You is a captivating and moving story that I would recommend to anyone. I am looking forward to reading I Heart You, You Haunt Me and Chasing Brooklyn, when it is released. I’m so very glad that this book is mine so I can re-read it whenever I want too.

Grade
Characters: B
Writing: A-
Plot: B
Ending: B+
Cover: A+
Recommendable: A

Overall: B+




18 comments:

A Passion For Books said...

That sounds really interesting. I think I'll have to add that to my TBR list.

Briana said...

I think in Pulse It they gave us Privilege or that book and I got Privilege. Although I loved Privilege, I've been wanting to read Far From You for a while.

-Briana

The Book Explorer said...

That sounds like a good book. Great review! =)

Unknown said...

Awesome review. I'm glad you enjoyed this book. It actually sounds very interesting.

Anonymous said...

It sounds like a really good book. I really like both covers that I've seen for it too.

Anonymous said...

I have read I Heart You, You Haunt Me and Chasing Brooklyn and I have fallen in love with Lisa's style of writing in verse. CB is my favorite of her books to date. I will definitely read more by her and I can't wait to read Far From You!

Amy J said...

Great review! This author always comes up with great topics for books!

Sarah said...

Being stranded in a blizzard sounds a little unusal but I bet it's a real eye-opener for the character. Thanks for the review!

Lynsey Newton said...

I have to admit that I haven't read anything by Lisa Schroeder but I definitely want to!

Eternal Night said...

I so want to read this Novel.

vvb32 reads said...

mmm, different cover. gives it a different feel. interesting description. i like the alice in wonderland connection.

Malbebe said...

I'm glad to see that you are reading Lisa Schroeder's books. I've read I heart you, you haunt me. That book was the first book I've read that was written is prose/lyric form. I like that it feels like a quick read but is not rushed at all. I like your review because you didn't hold back with your opinions about the book.

Jackie said...

I like the cover on your review more than giveaway! looks interesting! I liked I Heart You, You Haunt Me and I am excited to read this one!

Chelsea said...

I've never read a Lisa Schroeder book either, so I'm curious about this one. I love that you said it's lyrical -- I'm all about books with amazing plots that sound beautiful.
I will definitely have to check it out :)

Sandy said...

I've only read Chasing Brooklyn but I know what you mean about her way of writing: poignant lyricism is exactly what I'd call it. Awesome review :)

Samantha LeAnne said...

I've actually not read any of her books, but the more I see people talking about how great they are, the more I want to get my hands on them all! Especially this one :)

Anonymous said...

What a pretty cover! But I'm not sure whether to take a B+ rating as good or not. Well, it's worth a try!

Nancye said...

WOW! This bok sounds awesome! I haven't read any of her books before, but this review definitely makes me want to read more of her work.

nancyecdavis AT bellsouth DOT net

About Me

My photo
Georgia, United States
Hello all! My name is Briana, I'm 20, and I live in the beautiful state of Georgia. I love reading and photography.

My Partner in Crime...er...I mean reading. :P

My Partner in Crime...er...I mean reading. :P
Meet Rudy everyone!